Had to do my first cull today, this method seemed very humane

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Apr 6, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    One of the five-day-old EE bantams I picked up at TSC on Saturday was clearly suffering from some real problems, and very sorrowfully I had to cull her. I wasn't sure I could do it -- these are my first chicks -- but I used this method and it seemed as painless as possible:
    http://www.alysion.org/euthanasia/

The chick didn't struggle or cry out at all, but drifted off to sleep snuggled in a towel just like it was under the heat lamp. I have to admit, my hands were shaking, but whole thing was over quickly and with seemingly no trauma (except to my nerves).

I am grateful to whoever posted this link the first time, and thought I would pass it along to anyone who sadly may need it.

2. amarook

amarook Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2009
    Wellsburg
    I had to do it myself a couple weeks ago.
    It was sad, but the baby was suffering and obviously miserable.

I used the same method. But I didn't watch. I put it in a container, mixed the vinegar and B.S. in a smaller container, and stuck it in the bigger container. Sealed it up and walked away for 5 minutes.

I just couldn't watch. I didn't hear mine cry either. Just went to sleep.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Glad you posted that this went so quietly. It is good to know there is a way that seems peaceful, as many or most of us will be faced with this sooner or later.

4. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    I have not had to do this. The sick chicks usually pass on their own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by