Had to join to ask a question haha

Jmccauley

Chirping
Jun 14, 2021
Hi I'm Jessica, I recently started raising chickens and guineas. The guineas are hands down my absolute favorite well a week ago I had one of my girls go broody ((and then a second!)) Once I finally found the nest I have been going back and forth on whether or not to try to build some type of protection around her as her nest is not in the pen. I've been very hesitant to do that because I didn't want her to abandon her nest. Well now that we are having a thunderstorm I'm really wanting to go out and give them some type of protection but again I'm afraid she'll (they'll) abandon her nest. does anybody have any advice as if I should leave it be or try to give her some type of shelter?

Attachments

• PXL_20210611_023251761.jpg
    PXL_20210611_023251761.jpg
    783.8 KB · Views: 15
Hello, and welcome to BYC. Depending upon the predator load in your area, I might be tempted to put a cage with a door that could be closed at night over them.
So my original desire to give them protection was because of predators but now I am wondering if heavy rains and storms is detrimental to their health, to the nesting, will they abandon the nest, should I intervene? I still want to get protection up from predators but should I do something makeshift right now being as it's calling for thunderstorms?

Back
Top Bottom