Had to move broody hen and eggs

flapjackfarm

Chirping
Jun 14, 2015
Shiawassee County, Michigan
My Old English Game Bantam kept disappearing. Come to find out, she had herself a nice little nest of 12 eggs in the overhang of our barn. I didn't feel it was the safest place for baby chicks to hatch, so I moved her today to a large dog crate in our garage.

However, I'm nervous that she'll abandon her eggs. Can anyone give me insight on this breeds broodiness and likeliness to adjust?

Did your hen settle down with the nest in the new location?

In my experience with broody hens of any breed, they do not take kindly to being moved.

That's good to hear! My broody hens misplace eggs all the time, I just pop them back under them. Keep us posted on the hatch, please!

I was happy! She was a little distraught at first, but she seems to really want to be a momma. I just didn't think it was safe for her to hatch out babies in an overhang where they chicks could fall. I wasn't even planning on letting my girls hatch eggs, but by time I found her, there had been a few days of incubating by momma hen!

She sounds like a good broody and from what I heard OEG are excellent mothers. I have one (LF) with some chicks at the moment, she's awesome.

You beat me, I found a sneaky broody hen years ago ONE DAY before her chicks hatched! All 12 of them
smile.png
She was hiding under a plant next to a path where I walked past her numerous time daily, none the wiser until I watched her one day and finally found her nest.

I think she'll be a great momma.
That's crazy!! They're so sneaky about it. They're in a fenced run and obviously their coop, which is a 16x17 2 story "barn". I looked all over! Then I released there is about an 18" overhang with a flat surface and sure enough, she was between floor joices in that overhang!

Ran out of everywhere else to look? lol Good thing you found her
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom