half my gals have stopped laying eggs......normal for winter months?

eggxentric

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 25, 2009
Boulder Creek, CA
I have 1 Rhode Island Red (who keeps laying every day or there abouts). 1 Ameracaunas (only one of which is laying..about every other day), and a plymouth barred rock (who stopped laying in late October). I live in Central California and thought maybe the shorter daylight hours are affecting the girls, but....not really sure. Should I be concerned?
Thanks,
c.

unless you give them extra light, they will slow down or stop- some people put a light on in the coop so they will get 14 hours of light, i rather give them the break they need, than force laying-

I use a light with a timer and the egg production has stayed steady with 7-9 a day for 10 hens. The number will fall to 6 when it gets real cold or there's snow on the ground and they don't want to go out.

It's interesting, because I've noticed the egg production has slowed even more since the solstice has passed.
hmm.png

We don't have light/heat in the coop this winter. Still, throughout the longest darkest days of December, our laying girls were each producing about 2 eggs/every 3 days. Recently, all, except one (the Black Australorp, bless her heart!), have dropped down to 1 egg/every 3 days. Weird, to me! Once the daylight began lengthening, they lay even less? I guess I thought we'd be turning the corner the other way.
hu.gif

I'm just curious if anyone has seen the same thing?

Back
Top Bottom