Half of face is swollen and crusty

Gullish

Hatching
Jul 3, 2017
Reading PA
Just made an account here for advice for our situation! We don't have any experience dealing with sick chicks.
Our silkie rooster Good Boy's face is swollen on one side and a possible wound near his beak looks infected. His one eye is watery, and it looks like it hurts for him to close his beak all the way. His stool is normal, and he's still active, but notably less energetic. There's no noticeable smell coming from the wound.
Two days ago I noticed some white stuff on the skin around his beak, but didn't think much of it. At the time there was minimal swelling, his eye wasn't affected (the swelling of his eye is new as of today, it looked normal this morning).
We don't know for sure what lead to this. We do have another rooster, but he steers clear of Good Boy, I've never seen them fight. Our chickens are free range though, so it's possible he got cut somehow while out foraging, leading to an infection, but that's just my guess.
A few minutes ago we cleaned up his face with q-tips and some rubbing alcohol, then rubbed neosporin on his wound. Here's a picture I took after we did this.
image.jpg

Good Boy is eating softer foods and drinking, though we have to coax him into it a bit. He's been crowing throughout the day as normal and moving around, but with not as much gusto as normal.
We have 7 other chickens, all of which are healthy.
We were going to take him to a vet tomorrow, but they're all closed for 4th of July, and I don't know if waiting is an option.
Tips/advice on how to treat him and keep him healthy would be greatly appreciated! Are there any non-prescription treatments we can give him ourselves?

First thing is to quarantine. I imagine he's already gone to bed, so you could technically wait until morning. If he likes soft food, you can give him mash, which is kind of like chicken oatmeal. Hot water and crumble feed. This could get messy, though.
I don't know what it is he has, but you are not alone. Someone posted about a similar wound in the same area, but on a turkey. There was mention of Fowl Pox, so you might check that out.

Back
Top Bottom