Half of flock sneezing and has runny nose, one is raspy

PAchickenlover

Songster
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
York
Please tell me if I did the right thing. First of all half of my flock is sneezing and has a runny nose. It is not severe yet and I am trying to keep it from getting severe. I have put Sulmet in there water fearing that it could be coryza. Did I do the right thing? Is there something else that some on e can reccomend? I am desperate to save my flock! Please help!
Thanks,
Mollie

Last edited:
Were they out in this rain like mine were? I can't help you, per say, but I have some with runny noses because they got soaked with all this rain. I have mine on Duramycin-10.

THank you for your response! Yes we did have ALOT of rain but my birds were locked in their coop when it was raining. Also the sneezing and runny noses started before this past storm came in. So far I have not lost any birds and I am trying to keep it that way. I do not have any Duramycin-10. I had them on tetracycline before I decided to start them on the Sulmet.

I did get some new birds but I have been keeping them seperate and have been really careful about washing inbetween my flock and the new birds.

Mine started after they got soaked, so mine is a totally different situation. Sorry I couldn't help!

One last suggestion though - Tylan. You'll have to search for the dosage, but it's injected in the breast area. If mine don't look better in a couple of days, I'll be switching to the Tylan myself.

If there is a foul odor about the nostrils or their head area, it's coryza...continue with the sulmet treatment til completion. If there is no foul odor, it's a different respiratory disease and sulmet wont help. Antibiotics such as duramycin and tylan will treat the symptoms but wont cure the disease, and will eventually not work due to resistance to the antibiotics. The birds will remain carriers even when symptoms arnt showing. You will have to keep them seperated from your healthy birds and maintain biosecurity. I recommend that you purchase denagard from QC Supply and treat them with it. Denagard has no withdrawal period and most importantly there's no resistance. Treatment dosage is 16cc per gallon of water for 3-5 days. Preventative dosage is 8cc per gallon of water for 3-5 days. The preventative dose should be given to them once a month thereafter. Your other option is to cull.

Thank you Dawg53 For the information. I will do a little more investigating with the birds in the morning. unless you think I should do it now. Oh well I'll go do it now and see if they have a smell. I will let you know what I find. lol I am so out of it tonight!

ok the one that sounds the worst has a funky foul odor. It also sounds really raspy. Is this characteristic of Coryza? So I will continue the Sulmet. Unless you think I should do otherwise....
Just so I am clear on the directions can you tell me what to administer and when please. I don't want to mess this up.
Thank you,
Mollie

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom