Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
When you open the air cell you're only looking at the internal membrane as well. I've never opened the pointed end on any egg so I'm honestly surprised that there is even an air pocket. Having them upside-down may cause them to lose the air cell that is now in the bottom and use the pointed end instead.
Yeah, that makes sense. There doesn't appear to be an air cell in the far end anymore. They all are oriented toward the pointy (open) end.

To me internal pip is the internal pip. Especially with duck eggs there's a lot of shadowing before the internal pip happens (drove me nuts when I hatched ducks because they do it for days). It's where the chick pushes against the membrane under the air cell creating a moving shadow there.

This fabulous thread talks about it and has diagrams to illustrate it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/
Good thread, I bookmarked it! Thank you!!

I have to share these pics I just got. I'm not sure what it's doing, but #3 is really moving in there.
20200817_165933.jpg
20200817_165941.jpg
20200817_165949.jpg
20200817_165952.jpg
20200817_165954.jpg

Thanks for replying. Yeah, I don't know :idunno
Shadowing is what they do a few days before internal pip. It's where you can see a tiny bit of them moving around in the air cell. I think maybe they're loosening the membrane when they do that or something? But don't quote me on that.
Wow,I saw one of mine doing that today but didn't know it had a name.
3 looks the best to me. It's hard to tell from the pictures but 1 looks like the membrane is just turning white. Sorry to say but 2 look like bacterial infection. Can't tell on 4 because it is ointment. Just my opinion but I did work in a cloning lab in college and have seen my share of contamination.

In this pic, it has its feet braced against the side of its shell, and is pushing like it's trying to roll the egg over. It actually rocked the egg when he pushed off. I have stabilized his "holder" better. View attachment 2294720
Hmm...reminds me of my kiddo's late afternoon gymnastics sessions when I was pregnant! :D Sometimes I'd get thrown off balance.

Wow,I saw one of mine doing that today but didn't know it had a name.
3 looks the best to me. It's hard to tell from the pictures but 1 looks like the membrane is just turning white. Sorry to say but 2 look like bacterial infection. Can't tell on 4 because it is ointment. Just my opinion but I did work in a cloning lab in college and have seen my share of contamination.
#1s membrane is definitely still clear. I don't know what the spontaneous appearance of this white-ish "liquid" is. I think so too at this point. #4 looks decent under all that cloudiness, but I have to candle to check it.

Back
Top Bottom