Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
To me internal pip is the internal pip. Especially with duck eggs there's a lot of shadowing before the internal pip happens (drove me nuts when I hatched ducks because they do it for days). It's where the chick pushes against the membrane under the air cell creating a moving shadow there.

This fabulous thread talks about it and has diagrams to illustrate it:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed.491013/

Ok so you just mean as the chick is pressing against the membrane but not internally pipped. Gotcha.

#1, #3, and #4 all look good!
#2, the air cell one that had a lot of bacteria quit over night. I don't think he had much of a shot anyways. I'll probably eggtopsy him later today.
I'm doing a hole in the inner membrane for #1 today, as it's day 17 for her now. If it bleeds a bit when I do the hole is that ok? I'm just worried since the membrane is still laced with veins.

#1, #3, and #4 all look good!
#2, the air cell one that had a lot of bacteria quit over night. I don't think he had much of a shot anyways. I'll probably eggtopsy him later today.
I'm doing a hole in the inner membrane for #1 today, as it's day 17 for her now. If it bleeds a bit when I do the hole is that ok? I'm just worried since the membrane is still laced with veins.
Why are you doing that now? They usually do not internally pip until day 19 or 20. Id wait and there would be less veins to worry about.

Why are you doing that now? They usually do not internally pip until day 19 or 20. Id wait and there would be less veins to worry about.
Because in all of the videos I watched they put in the oxygen tube thing on the evening of day 17. And since ET, and my sister's quit day 18 in the morning (from I think lack of air) I want to do it tonight to be safe.
I know. @BirdsBeesTrees reccomended doing this today too. I just thought that from everything I've read today would be the best day. I just don't want to screw up.

Back
Top Bottom