Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Pics
It does look like possible infection in the abdomen. I have no idea about the other 2 but will relay what happened when I had one hatch with an unabsorbed yolk... (for the remaining chicks)

So Bieles hit the ground running and are very vigorous! My last egg popped out with the yolk in about the same condition (absorption wise) so I did the baby in the shell and upright in a cup thing I found in the assisted hatch threads.
Yeah, baby was having no part of it! It would have happily started running around dragging the yolk behind it (and possibly pulling it's guts out) so I did my best to keep it in a tall cup and quiet but it ruptured the yolk kicking around with his feet anyway.
Ok, on to plan 2-
I carefully trimmed whatever was left (empty sack) and held pressure on the bleeding and dabbed with cornstarch to help control and dry things up. Initially that worked.
Baby did not have the plump abdomen like normal, but otherwise seemed ok so I was going to let him have a go. Attitude alone told me he might make it.
However, in his inability to be still and his desire to climb everything meant he kept pulling off his drying stump and would start bleeding all over again. Rinse, repeat and I realized eventually the blood loss was too much and I culled.

It did help that it was an auto sexing breed and it was a boy, which I already had two very healthy ones. Had he lived he would have been destined for the freezer anyway because I don't want to breed anything like that into my line of Bieles.

.....just my experience with trying to deal with a chick with an unabsorbed yolk...
Yeah, I thought so too with that greenish color. Thanks for sharing that story. I'm sorry about your chick. So do you think I should just leave them in the shells and hope for the best? I have one blonde and 1 brown left at least. I don't want to lose them. #3 seems very strong. Not sure about #4, but it's still alive. It's too cloudy to tell what's going on. #3 looks like it's correctly positioned at least. Today is still day 18 for him.
I'm so bummed about my other one. I just thought he was going to make it, since it was so close.

Well, here's pics. His abdomen is so greenish colored. Everything was almost absorbed. 😢View attachment 2298821View attachment 2298822
The yolk does have some green in the yolk, but it's more concentrated in the abdominal area.
Even if it survived, it's immune system would've been suppressed greatly, & would be very vulnerable to lots of illnesses.

Yeah, I think so too. Is it likely that's what killed him? Do you think the others have it too?
I've only had a couple cases. The others might be fine, just need to keep a close eye on them.

Yes, it's what most likely killed him/her.

When you have bacteria in an incubator, you need to remove it instantly and sanitize the bator. You can’t leave it and let it fester for days especially with open eggs. It’ll be a breeding ground for more.

I’m sorry you experienced another loss. Hopefully the others hatch great :hugs
I did, and I replaced the shelf liner. I wiped the incubator down inside too. Is that good?
Thanks FC :hugs

Back
Top Bottom