Half Shell Hatch-A-Long! (Caution, unsuccessful, please read whole thread before attempting)

Yeah, I thought so too with that greenish color. Thanks for sharing that story. I'm sorry about your chick. So do you think I should just leave them in the shells and hope for the best? I have one blonde and 1 brown left at least. I don't want to lose them. #3 seems very strong. Not sure about #4, but it's still alive. It's too cloudy to tell what's going on. #3 looks like it's correctly positioned at least. Today is still day 18 for him.
I'm so bummed about my other one. I just thought he was going to make it, since it was so close.
Thanks.
I wish I could offer some good ideas on what to do, but I just don't know. I'm pulling for the babies though!! I'll drink some extra coffee in toast to them too.
Well, tomorrow morning I mean. Little late tonight for coffee. Unless I were staying up all night to watch the incubator... (maybe you should brew some??)

It just died sometime in the last 20 minutes :hit
I just was in here 20 minutes ago, and when I came in now, it wasn't moving. I rubbed him, and he didn't respond. So I opened the egg as fast as I could thinking maybe he has just died and I could "resuscitate" him somewhat. I rubbed him with a wash cloth, he's gone. I don't know what happened. He looked so great last time I was in here. He was squirming and yawning.
I'm sorry guys. I can't believe it.
It's abdomen is very swollen and "green". Maybe it had some kind of infection and got mushy chick disease? Idk. I'm so sad. :hit
I'm sorry, I knew that's what the gasping meant but I was too chicken to say. Sorry. 🥺

Thanks.
I wish I could offer some good ideas on what to do, but I just don't know. I'm pulling for the babies though!! I'll drink some extra coffee in toast to them too.
Well, tomorrow morning I mean. Little late tonight for coffee. Unless I were staying up all night to watch the incubator... (maybe you should brew some??)
Thanks! I appreciate your support. 👍
Lol! It's definitely too late... but I'll set my alarm for a couple alarms overnight though. Well, I'm going to bed for now everyone. I'll update tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Both are still alive. Day 19 for #3 and day 18 for #4. #3 is definitely breathing. It looks like it's in a good position. He's not moving much either though. There's still a lot of blood vessels all over in there. #4 doesn't have as many veins (visible at least) and is in the same position as #3 it seems. I'll get some pics. Just a minute.

:hugs
Nothing else you could’ve done. Sometimes they just don’t survive the transition from breathing through the egg to using their respiratory system, even if they seem like they’ve got it to start with. Hard to say if it was truly a yolk infection as the yolks do look strange in light coloured birds, if you look at their abdomen right after hatch (but most don’t remove them still wet, so don’t necessarily see it - I pick up and check/dip navels on everyone if I’m around when they hatch). Hard to know with one right at hatch or close to it, too, because usually you start seeing omphalitis a few days after hatch, once the bacteria overwhelms them. But those eggs aren’t open for part of the incubation process, so not sure how they’d compare. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom