Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
Nope! First duck hatch, but I've had a variety of other birds in the past; black sex-link hens, button, coturnix and Texas A&M quail.. I always get nervous around halfway through a hatch because you can actually see the chicks coming to life, they're not just an egg anymore, y'know? :) Its exciting and terrifying because you never know what's gonna happen, every hatch is different.

Good luck!

to be more specific, recently my chicken flock was taken out by an unknown predator that got in the coop (probably a coyote or bobcat grr) so i think the duck eggs were more of a sympathy gift than anything, to be honest. God, hatching new birds makes me so anxious!

Sorry to hear about the predator issue. Were you able to beef up the security of the coop and run?

i know that pain :hugs

Yes, you certainly do. :hugs

:lol: I'm afraid not. Feather sexing doesn't work on EEs.
Wow....Darn, didn’t know that. What about basic coloring, sex link patterns. Bought the eggs off of eBay they said they were Whiting true blue cream crested legbar. I wanted to add some blue egg layers to my flock. Questioning what do I have? They are very cute so time will tell. I am done hatching for awhile. Out of the 7, 3 were not fertile.
Happy Hatching!! :>

Wow....Darn, didn’t know that. What about basic coloring, sex link patterns. Bought the eggs off of eBay they said they were Whiting true blue cream crested legbar. I wanted to add some blue egg layers to my flock. Questioning what do I have? They are very cute so time will tell. I am done hatching for awhile. Out of the 7, 3 were not fertile.
Happy Hatching!! :>
Sex-linked feather colour? Not quite sure what the question is. Feather sexing (looking at wing feathers) only works on crosses with one parent of a fast feathering breed and one of a slow. I forget which way it has to go with dam/sire.

Never seen a CLB that looked like that, would have guessed EEs for sure, but I could be wrong.

Good luck!

Sorry to hear about the predator issue. Were you able to beef up the security of the coop and run?

Yes, you certainly do. :hugs

Thank you!
And heck yeah I did, that coop is basically Alcatraz now, nothing gets out and sure as hell nothing's getting in! I'm not letting another flock get taken out, not without doing my damnedest to ensure complete and total security. I buried the ends of the chicken wire fencing beneath the coop and surrounded the edges with those heavy, decorative concrete blocks. If that doesn't keep predators out, i may be bringing my future ducks inside lol (assuming they hatch and are healthy)!:lau I didn't know indoor-ducks was a thing until about two months ago, and its still kid of funny to me to think people put diapers on them!

Thank you!
And heck yeah I did, that coop is basically Alcatraz now, nothing gets out and sure as hell nothing's getting in! I'm not letting another flock get taken out, not without doing my damnedest to ensure complete and total security. I buried the ends of the chicken wire fencing beneath the coop and surrounded the edges with those heavy, decorative concrete blocks. If that doesn't keep predators out, i may be bringing my future ducks inside lol (assuming they hatch and are healthy)!:lau I didn't know indoor-ducks was a thing until about two months ago, and its still kid of funny to me to think people put diapers on them!

There is something wrong with people bringing ducks inside and putting diapers on them. :lau

Back
Top Bottom