Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
So one of my eggs internally pipped this morning. When should you assist it externally pip (assuming you rather assist than let nature "death" take its course) I just don't want it to run out of oxeygen. I'm assuming it should take about 24 hours from internal to external? Am I right?
24 hours, then safety hole if you're inclined to be hands-on... I've had them take longer than that and shorter than that, it varies greatly.

So one of my eggs internally pipped this morning. When should you assist it externally pip (assuming you rather assist than let nature "death" take its course) I just don't want it to run out of oxeygen. I'm assuming it should take about 24 hours from internal to external? Am I right?
24 hours, then safety hole if you're inclined to be hands-on... I've had them take longer than that and shorter than that, it varies greatly.

x2. For me it depends on the breed. Seramas i will usually assist at about 18 hours, because they have less air and are more inclined to give up. Call ducks also commonly need assisting. Air cell size is a factor for me. If it's already large, I may give them longer. if it's on the small side, I'll go in quicker.

Speaking of... I've had 5 hatch since yesterday. 4 full assists, 1 hatched by itself overnight. Several more pips and assists going.
WP_20171028_09_28_33_Moment(2).jpg

WP_20171028_09_27_53_Pro_LI.jpg

:hugs and :fl
i agree with the 24 hour rule

x2. For me it depends on the breed. Seramas i will usually assist at about 18 hours, because they have less air and are more inclined to give up. Call ducks also commonly need assisting. Air cell size is a factor for me. If it's already large, I may give them longer. if it's on the small side, I'll go in quicker.

Speaking of... I've had 5 hatch since yesterday. 4 full assists, 1 hatched by itself overnight. Several more pips and assists going.
View attachment 1171754
View attachment 1171755
babies!!!!!
:love :love :love

View attachment 1171754
View attachment 1171755
Awww :love

I checked this morning and it was still alive, but didn't make any progress. So I first tried using a sewing needle to poke a hole. Shell was so hard and the needle didn't do anything, so I ended up poking through with a small pair of sewing scissors.

I also noticed that the sides of my brinsea octagon weren't so flushed and were letting a lot of the humidity out, so I ended up taping down the sides to seal them. Everything is all good now and the chick is chirping and rocking away.

I first tried using a sewing needle to poke a hole.
I use pointy tweezers squeezed close. If no external pip and I neglected to mark the air cell, I candle to find the pocket. Also making sure the 2 membranes are not obstructing the air hole.

Here are some successful assists..
IMG_20170717_164801.jpg
IMG_20170623_134706.jpg
IMG_20170623_134716.jpg
IMG_20170623_134722.jpg

Here’s a picture of him/her. I’m assuming I just leave them alone for another 24-30 hours. She just keeps chirping, very chatty, but not trying very hard to actually get out. From the angle the picture was taken it looks like she’s much closer to the hole, than she actually is. I had to flash a light in front to show off the beak peaking through more behind the opening.
6A8FD067-F079-400C-9DD3-12F104D6B26F.jpeg

Here’s a picture of him/her. I’m assuming I just leave them alone for another 24-30 hours. She just keeps chirping, very chatty, but not trying very hard to actually get out. From the angle the picture was taken it looks like she’s much closer to the hole, than she actually is. I had to flash a light in front to show off the beak peaking through more behind the opening.View attachment 1172053
is it yawning?
if yawning, it is still absorbing yolk and should be left alone

It looks like it is huffing and puffing, is that the same as the yawning. She’s really noisy. I’m planning to just let her do her thing and see how far she’s progressed tomorrow.

I’m just wondering if they need light? I have my incubator in a pretty dark room, almost pitch black. I assume in nature they’d be under their mother’s bum so they wouldn’t be getting much light to begin with.
Whenever I come in to look at her and turn on the lights, she goes crazy

Back
Top Bottom