Halloween Hatch-A-Long 2017

Pics
Still air & hand turned. 100.7*F/59% RH & cheep cheep cheep cheep...
My eyelids weigh a hundred lbs...
sipping-coffee-gif.1144109
:th

also sorry for completely abandoning this thread for four days, I had a hospital scare on Thursday and was recovering over the weekend. The good news is, babies are due to hatch in four days and lock-down starts tomorrow afternoon! Two seem to be losing weight well, but the other two (Blood ring possible bulls-eye :() seem to be retaining their weight... Hoping for four, expecting only two now...

:fl hatching ducks is more nerve-wracking than chickens and quail combined!

I am sitting here waiting for my broody momma to get up to do her business so I can see if there is any pipping! I candled the eggs the last time a couple days ago and there were 8 definitely good ones and 2 that had weird air sacs but alive so not sure if they would make it or not...can't wait to see what happens. This is also my silkie broody momma's first time hatching so I don't know if she will be a good chick momma or not.. Im getting a brooder set up just in case I have to move them once hatched. This is so nerve wracking because like I've already mentioned, I am a control freak and I want to see what's going on, and I can't see anything under the broody like I can in the bator!

@Josh L. agreed! Ducks are way more stressful. (hope you are ok from the hospital scare!)
I ended up with 10 Call ducks, plus one more still in ICU, hopefully it survives.
Its a good thing they are so cute. They sure can make a mess in no time! lol
View attachment 1173812

Oh my goodness- ducklings are my weakness, I really believe they are the cutest baby animal God made, but I prefer Chickens to Ducks (I have 4 ducks and 15+ chickens) but ducklings..... Ducklings...... Hard to resist the most adorable fuzzy waddle. And they are so snuggly too....

Day 20, only five left in the bator. 2 external peeps. Other three unknown for the moment.
Out of 21 positive candled, 17 are in a toasty brooder from day 19..
This has been by far, the earliest, most surprising hatch thus so far. When I set the eggs just after midnight/morning of the tenth, I expected an early Hallow-Hatch on Halloween Day... Not Oct 29th...
A couple of these boogers are huge!
DSC00001.JPG
DSC00002.JPG
DSC00003.JPG
DSC00006.JPG
388681.jpg

Back
Top Bottom