Halloween ~ Hatch Day!

Keep us posted Kim.....

barnie.gif
I can't stand it! I want to scream!
lau.gif
This is so exciting!

Quote:
If it has only been 5 days, depending on the thickness of the shell, you might be able to see some veins, in the top part of the egg, coming off the air sac. But that is if you have a really good light, and white or light colored eggs. Could possibly see the little peep, I have neer candled on day 5, only days 3 and 7, so it's hard to say. Day 3=veins only; Day 7=little peep (sometimes)

Quote:
My eggs are the last batch in this stagger. I have some that were due this Thursday, that are pipping right now!! I did add 3 eggs from a hen of my dad's. She had a nest of 15, and only 3 look like they might be good. They look like they are about the same incubation as my other eggs. Not sure though. But after these eggs hatch, I will probably (no promises!) be done for the season. When these eggs hatch, that will clean out my bator.

My temps are running between 98-101, and humidity is around 40%. The chicks that are pipping right now, started in the bator, at these temps&RH, so I guess it works!

Ok, I am such an idiot!! I was thinking my bator eggs were the ones for this thread. WRONG!! Idk what temp and humidity my broody is!!
lol.png
The bator eggs are on the Oct. 23 thread!!
lau.gif

That's OK Shelley...we all have chicken on the brain!
lau.gif

I will candle again on Friday , that will make 1 week, tonight was only 4 days. At least I know I have 10 that are doing ok so far.

I decide to go and check my broody's eggs. I had noticed one not completely under her about an hour ago, so I thought, since it was already out, might as well right? I didn't put it back earlier, because the other chickens were going in to roost. I have one that is scared of her own shadow, so I try not to be in there too much. Plus, my broody is a game, and I like to keep my skin, thank you very much! Anyway, so I go out to check the egg, and put it back under her, since I found my gloves, and wouldn't ya know? She has pulled it back under!!
barnie.gif
Good for her, stinks for me!! Oh well, I will just have to wait till this weekend like I had planned, and let dad get some out!
lol.png

Quote:
It must be fun trying to keep all of your eggs strait!
lau.gif

It's usually not too bad. I have had a broody due at the same time as my bator eggs before, almost every time. I just had too many hens laying this time!!
lol.png

Okay, I just checked all 16 eggs. Keep in mind, it's only day 5 and I have brown eggs...I saw little peeps in 6 eggs! The others, not so sure. I'll wait and see in a couple more days.

I think I may need a brighter candler.

ETA...I can't count eggs, apparently.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I candled (Day 5)...

I can't see a single darn thing in my Copper Marans eggs b/c they are too darn dark! At least I hope that's why and not because they're duds!
fl.gif
Does anyone know at what stage (if at all) it becomes possible to candle Marans eggs? I can't even see an air cell...

As far as my other 28 eggs go, 26 of them have veins!!!
clap.gif
Guess I'll have plenty of RIRs, BRs, and EEs running around. And I have 2 mystery white eggs that came from a lady I bought a pen from...no clue what those are, but they're developing, so hopefully I'll find out!

Back
Top Bottom