Halloween ~ Hatch Day!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 11, 2008.

1. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Yeah!!! I can't wait! [​IMG]

Sis, welcome to the Halloween Hatch club! [​IMG]

2. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    Welcome Sis & Vicki! & anyone else I missed....

I got a can light & cut a hole in a small cardboard box & I am ready to candle later tonight.....if I dare. I am so afraid to do it. I am afraid there will nothing in there. GULP! Some one needs to hold my hand [​IMG] I want so bad for all my silkies to hatch. I set them Friday night, what should I expect to see? This is my 1st time ya know.....

I have 4 of my own bantie eggs in there. 1 is going to be about 2 days later than the rest. I hope that works.

The temp has been about 100.2 - 100.6 & humidity has been going from 35 - 37. Once it dropped to 33...yikes! Hope that the 35-37 is good.

BC Babe, I hope your silkies & the other eggs do better than you are thinking. [​IMG]

Hey if all goes well....are any of you going to set more eggs after this hatch? I think I want to do BO's. [​IMG]

3. nhnanna

nhnanna Songster

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    Welcome Sis & Vikki [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Temp is 100.0/52
    Orpingtons, frizzles & penedesenca are on my wish list.
    Those will have to wait until spring though
    Good luck everyone.
    Sending good vibes to everyone. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Day 5 - I'm going to candle when I get home!! I'm sure I won't be able to see in the Copper Marans eggs, but hopefully I can see through the other ones. Hubby bought me my own candling light (so I wouldn't steal his that he uses for work)!

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    My penedesenca eggs arrived today! Yeah!!! They are resting now, and I'm going to set them tonight before I go to bed. They look good, but not quite as dark as I thought. Still pretty, though.

While I have the bator opened, I might as well candle, right? Cyn, don't get frustrated if you don't see anything yet. It is still early.

6. thegoogers

thegoogers Songster

Oct 6, 2008
    Cleveland, TN
    Quote:I AM SO JEALOUS!!!!!!!!! Copper Marans.... [​IMG]

When you end up with all those chicks and you don't know what to do with them ... I will give you my address [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. KellyHM

KellyHM Crowing

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    LOL, I can only HOPE that I end up with too many too handle!!

8. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    KellyHM - I am so jealous!!! I have been looking for copper marans. I really want some. Keep me in mind in the spring when you have extra eggs!!!

9. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Songster

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    I want Copper Marans too! [​IMG] Cool [​IMG] When do you want my address.... [​IMG]

Ok, I did it....I candled. At first I couldn't see a darned thing & then [​IMG] dah! Put your reading glasses on! [​IMG] so I did & I did see veins in 8 silkie eggs & veins in 2 bantie eggs. [​IMG]

1) Now there were 2 that looked like they were just filled with water.....????

2) 1 looked to have a floating line of blood, didn't look like a vein, as I turned the egg the blood turned, just a line of it.

3) the others there was a blob in them. Are those passed the vein stage or are they duds?

4) a couple of the eggs were to hard to see into, they were either really thick or it was because they had so many speckles in the egg shell (not a speckled egg....if that makes sense?)

So any way, I will candle again in maybe 3 more days?

10. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Cyn - congrats. That sounds good.

I wouldn't make any decisions on those others just yet. Hold off for a few more days.

Now I have to go do mine....I can't stand it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: