Halloween ~ Hatch Day!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CK Chickadilly, Oct 11, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Yup. I told the kids that if (and I am really hoping that's a big IF) another one expires by our day 14 candling we will open it and look at that one, too.

I hope you won't have that problem, but if so, post pics.

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    How's everyones temps and humidities doing? And also, I was just wondering how many of us are doing staggered hatches? And if so, when are you setting your second set (or third? [​IMG] )

I have two thermometer/hygrometers in my bator right now. They read 98-99degrees with 41 % and 101degrees with 38 percent...I figure that means they average out just right! I'm planning on setting another batch of eggs on friday (and should have a full 'bator then) at the same time, I'll try to candle the BO's I have in there now. The second set will be a combo of pure breeds...BR, Blue Oprs, Silkies, Cochin Bantams, Polish etc. I'm sooo eggcited! [​IMG]

3. BayCityBabe

BayCityBabe Songster

May 1, 2008
    I am also aiming for Halloween. At this point, it's a consolation hatch. [​IMG]
    My first batch (due any minute) is not looking good at all. I am down to 8 out of 24. Frankly, none of the eight have shown any positive signs - other than shadows. No movement or sound. I have been feeling hopeless for days. DD is beyond hopeless - making dark comments, sighing... (Oh, nevermind, that's normal: she's a teenager.[​IMG]).
    Sooooo... what's a wanna-be hatch-aholic to do? I put nine more in the 'bator on Saturday. They are Silkies, evil ones, I am betting. And the great news is that 5 of the 9 have veining already.[​IMG]
    I will try to quit holding my breath. I don't think I can keep this up for 16 more days.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:My eggs are the last batch in this stagger. I have some that were due this Thursday, that are pipping right now!! I did add 3 eggs from a hen of my dad's. She had a nest of 15, and only 3 look like they might be good. They look like they are about the same incubation as my other eggs. Not sure though. But after these eggs hatch, I will probably (no promises!) be done for the season. When these eggs hatch, that will clean out my bator.

My temps are running between 98-101, and humidity is around 40%. The chicks that are pipping right now, started in the bator, at these temps&RH, so I guess it works!

5. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Checked mine at lunch. The temp is right at 100 and the humidity was 37%.
    I am going to set 12 penedesenca eggs either tonight or in the morning, along with the 16 barred rock eggs that are on day 5.

6. vicki2x2

vicki2x2 Super Chick

Feb 9, 2008
    Central Michigan
    I just found this thread. I have a hatch due on Halloween night. I put the eggs in at 10pm, so they will probably all hatch while I am sleeping!

I am excited as these are all my own eggs! Finally my girls are laying and I can hatch my own babies!! I have serema's, welsummers, slw and blrw. [​IMG]

7. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the club, Vicki!!

I'll be glad when I can hatch from my own. I think that would make the hatch even more special!!

Good luck!

8. sis

sis Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    I have 4 silkie eggs in the bator due on Halloween, so I'm in the club!

9. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Songster

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Kelley - If I have any luck with the penes, I'll send you some eggs in the spring. Us hatch buddies have to look out for each other!!

Sis - Welcome to the club!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: