Halloween ~ Hatch Day!

CK Chickadilly

Songster
11 Years
Sep 11, 2008
West Michigan
I know we keep writing under a couple of different threads, so I thought we could have our official thread for our target day....Halloween!

We can keep each other company.

Things look good on my end...the humidity is fluctuating but seems ok.

I had to get outside today since I can't stand the constant checking....lol But look at me....I am back in & on here & of course....checking the bator!
lau.gif

It's addictive! I went to the store and the first thing I did when I got home was check the 'bator!
gig.gif
My temp has been fluctuating...driving me nuts! 99.5-98.4 I think was the range (for once, my humity is stable at 41%) I picked up a second thermo/hygro just to have in there to check...and I'm ordering a wiggler on-line! I swear this is worse than being pregnant in some ways. When you're pregnant, you can eat good, exercise, drink lots o water, lots of sleep etc....Right now, we're waiting for our babies...and a machine's in control
ep.gif

The funny thing, is when I was explaining candling to my daughters...I told them it was like a chickie ultrasound (they've gone with me in the past when I was pregnant with the little ones
big_smile.png
)

Last edited:
It sure is addictive!
I am trying to grasp the water wiggler idea. Not having young kids anymore, I am out of it!

When is everyone going to candle (chickie ultrasound)
big_smile.png
their eggs? I was thinking about Wednesday. Is that to early to see anything?

The other (cheaper) thermo/hygro I bought is saying that I'm holding steady at 101 degrees and 39% humidity! I ended up not buying the wiggler. A water wiggler is more or less a tube dilled with water. The theory is that if the inner temp of the wiggler is good, then the inside of your eggs should be. It won't fluctuate the way the thermometer does. I won't have room for the thing in my 'bator though...I just ordered even more eggs!
ep.gif
I'm totally hooked!

I have BO's cookin' right now, I'm going to be a tester for Feathers Acres of BR and polish and I just bought a lot of purebred hatching eggs on Ebay. (The person has them seperated by breed, and I'll end up with several kinds...many different silkies, cochins, blue orpingtons, wellsummer, some different bantams etc.) I'm going to let my daughter, who's building her own incubator, have some of them to try and hatch. My soon to be 10 year old is going to pick one out to keep as her own too.

Sorry to go off topic...
smile.png
As for candling, I'm going to wait until Friday (day 7) I think. That's about when I'll be setting the other eggs too, so it'll just be opening the 'bator one time for both.

Sorry to ramble...I'm way overtired!
caf.gif

My ghetto-bator is FABULOUS!

I am really surprised at how well everything is staying where it should be. It is still air so I have a big swing in temp but it is a constant swing and short lived.

I am SO addicted and my husband is ummm less than thrilled
wink.png

We have been busy building the coop today so I didn't have the urge to check the bator over and over and over...

We will finish that up tomorrow! For the chicks we are getting next weekend
smile.png

Okay, my due date is actually the day before Halloween, but I'm posting anyway. Hope ya'll don't mind. LOL!

My humidity has been around 36%. I woke up at 4:30 this am, decided to check the bator, then had to add water because it was down to 30%.

I ordered more eggs, too. They were supposed to be here today, shipped on Thursday, but a no-show. Since Monday is a holiday, I'm wondering if I should even bother...

I'm totally hooked, too. Not sure about candling, though. I want to do it now, even tho I know I won't see anything...I can't stand the suspense!!

I just read another post to candle around day 9-10 to see anything. So I think I will wait, I am afraid if I do it to early I will be discouraged if I can't see anything.

I had to add some water too, it is holding at about 37-39.

Maybe they will be alright, they will be resting for a day, & aren't they good for a while? I would try them. What kind are they?

I really want to get another bator, but I am so worried that these 1st time eggs are going to fail for some reason. I hope I get a good hatching!

BTW - my cute little 6 wk. old bantie roo was found dead floating in the horse water tank tonight.
sad.png
Such a cute litte guy....I am so bummed right now. He was my favorite.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom