1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hamburg chick; problem-symptom or normal?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chick_In_The_Burbs, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Hi all. I just noticed that our Hamburg chick is breathing about twice as fast as the other chicks (sussex, australorp, and brahma). they were all sleeping when I noticed this. Otherwise she's pelting around the brooder in fine form, I'm just a little worried about her hyper-breathing. Is she developing some kind of breathing problem or is that just due to her amped up nature?

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Anyone???

[​IMG]

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I haven't a clue, sorry. I have two Hamburg chicks about 8 weeks old, and they are pretty hyper, but they also sleep very soundly, often on their feet. Or they snuggle together. They're in a separate brooder with a porcelain D'uccle, and I haven't noticed extra rapid breathing. But I haven't looked for it, either.

4. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I noticed it when she was snuggling with the Brahma. I did a count-pattern on her breathing and compared to the other two. Definantly faster than all the others. Guess I'll just keep an eye on her...

5. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    How old are the chicks?

6. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    The hamburg and brahma are just shy of a week. The other two, sussex and australorp are three days or so.

7. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    What is on your flooring?

8. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I'm using puppy training mats.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by