Hamburg thread!

Pics
I wasn't sure if they were bantams or not till I got them home because I had always heard they were small birds. They are bigger than my mix bantam roo L.B. (most things are
tongue.png
) but about the same size as the silkie mixes that we have so I'm thinking bantam.
idunno.gif
I don't really mind either way, I love watching them. They are so pretty.
love.gif

Quote:
7 pounds?!?

I'm guessing here.......like a big fat tomato at the store LOL! I honestly don't weigh them but she was lighter than my bantam Orp hen.

I doubt that any Hamburg would be over 3 pounds unless she was in complete body failure will all systems shut down and had accumulated tones of fluid. i have only one but she is half the weight of my other hens of the same age. Thye are average birds not Jersey Giants or other large and heavy breeds.

Quote:
7 pounds?!?

I'm guessing here.......like a big fat tomato at the store LOL! I honestly don't weigh them but she was lighter than my bantam Orp hen.

Seven pounds is more cantelope than tomato, I'm afraid.

My elder SSH is moulting, and only laying about four eggs a week (instead of six)- meanwhile the Blue Laced Red Wyandotte has just started laying at all after almost three weeks off- same size eggs, with the Hamburgs eating perhaps a third the feed.

I am not able to judge the amount of food each bird consumes. I also have a Wyandotte hen but only because she was given to me. She is SL. I have had Gold laced and BLRW and feel that they are OK BYChickens if you don't mind them but many breeds such as Hamburg as so much better as far as laying plus personality. Hamburgs are wonderful eye candy and spunky. Dotties are sort of shy and not spunky just OK although the one that I have now does lay a pretty pink egg for my basket.

Quote:
The single BLRW who's laying is in a cage with one cockerel, and the three Hamburgs are also separate, so it's easy to compare how much feed they're getting- although when the Hamburg cockerel was in his big growth spurt in late July and early August he was eating more than either of the other cages for a bit. Of course the Hamburgs also eat more random stuff: slugs, for instance, even big ones, which make the BLRW cockerel get the vapors.

Back
Top Bottom