Hand Made Incubator Science Project

wbow

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2016
My kid and I watched a bunch of online videos and built (more than one incubator). She is doing it for a science fair and then possibly 4H (we are buying a bunch of different Coturnix Quail eggs) So I bought energy efficient which was a waste of money. I bought a bulb that wasn't energy efficient at 60 watts which melted our first incubator. After looking a few things up I bought a true 40 watt bulb and I'm at 111 degrees and 10% humidity. Everyone swears by 40 watts on a still air incubator. I live in Michigan and my house runs no more than 68 degrees. It's a good light source, I've used it for chicks with higher wattage. What am I doing wrong...It was an 40 watt appliance bulb because you can not ever get a none energy efficient bulb.

Electronic Temperature controls are available for about $20 why not get one and save yourself the hassle of trying to regulate temps in other ways? It will probably pay for itself quickly with egg survival rates. While your at it put a small 12v computer fan in the ‘bator, I have a bias against still air.

Electronic Temperature controls are available for about $20 why not get one and save yourself the hassle of trying to regulate temps in other ways? It will probably pay for itself quickly with egg survival rates. While your at it put a small 12v computer fan in the ‘bator, I have a bias against still air.[/QUOTe

What great ideas

My kid and I watched a bunch of online videos and built (more than one incubator). She is doing it for a science fair and then possibly 4H (we are buying a bunch of different Coturnix Quail eggs) So I bought energy efficient which was a waste of money. I bought a bulb that wasn't energy efficient at 60 watts which melted our first incubator. After looking a few things up I bought a true 40 watt bulb and I'm at 111 degrees and 10% humidity. Everyone swears by 40 watts on a still air incubator. I live in Michigan and my house runs no more than 68 degrees. It's a good light source, I've used it for chicks with higher wattage. What am I doing wrong...It was an 40 watt appliance bulb because you can not ever get a none energy efficient bulb.
Sounds like too much heat for a small space.
One of my heat sources for my home made incubator is actually a car head light socket with a tiny bulb in it. I have the socket wire into a 12v thermostat i got off ebay and have it powered with a 12v ac/dc adapter.

That might be enough if 40w is too much.
20180202_103312.jpg

20180202_103251.jpg
20180202_173427.jpg
20180202_110743.jpg

Mine is probably quite a bit bigger than yours but i was able to use just 1 of these in a small cooler with a fan and keep the temperature i wanted.
20180215_222828.jpg

20180215_215807.jpg
20180215_215729.jpg

I stuck a clementine box in the cooler upside down it gave me just enough room for the eggs on top. I never tested this for humidity or hatching though. It was a last minute incubator i needed for travel. (Bonus it works in a car if the power goes out)

I used a glue gun to stick the light socket and thermostat to the cooler. So i didnt damage it. The wires running under the lid kept it open enough for ventilation.

Hope this helps :p

Back
Top Bottom