Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For the Birds!! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

Well, he didn't do it for me so I had to. :hit broke my heart, but I know it was the right thing to do. Poor thing was gonna be a frizzle too. Fact of hatching, some just don't come out right. But happily I have 6 beautiful ones.

ETA - my first ever cull, but I was proud of myself for doing it.

I have that bator too, and used it for several hatches until the heater sensor or something went out on me, on day 18!! I maintained temp with help of a heat lamp for the hatch, but got a Brinsea after that. I still want to repair it to use for a spare hatcher though.
    And I totally agree, the temp was fine in it (although it works harder than it should to maintain temp...heater off and on alot!) but the humidity gage was waaaayyyy off.

:fl

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
  3. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]Kudos to you for being able to do it. Haven't had to yet and don't know if I could myself. Yay on the other 6 though. Can't wait to see how they feather out!!

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

2 people like this.
  5. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Yup!!! lol Scary, right there!

6. jlashaw

jlashaw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2015
    . I leave my chicken eggs in until they hatch if I can see they're moving and alive. I have a very bright led flashlight that I use because a candeling light doesn't cut for me. Also, once they've internally pipped and are in the air cell, you will be able to see their little head. Just remember that after they externally pip they do need a lot of time to absorb the yolk. Do you have another thermometer/hygrometer so you can figure out how far off your temp is? It's been my experience in this wet weather we've had all winter, that you really don't need the water until hatch because the humidity in your house, depending on where you live, is probably 30-40% if I actually set a hatch right now at 65% humidity I'd have very wet chicks with all sorts of problems. If everything is right on schedule, don't adjust the humidity.

7. zmcolbert

zmcolbert Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    I live in Northern CA, it was 76 today.. I do have back up thermometers and hydrometers in with them. They are ducks, don't know if that makes a difference.

8. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Depending on where you live is right. [​IMG] Humidity at my house is finally rising (because it's night) and we are up to 15%. Hatching "dry" at my house is a death sentence.

But I totally agree - If everything is right on schedule, you don't need to adjust your humidity.

9. jlashaw

Aug 10, 2015
    lol yes I'm in Eastern Washington so winter through spring no water but summer is hot and dry so I will be using water if I need to hatch when it's in the triple digits :lol:

10. jlashaw

Aug 10, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by