Hands on hatching and help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AmyLynn2374, Feb 11, 2016.

1. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    If there is no action on day 21, I would candle! I usually candle twice a day (morning and night) during lockdown, before any external pips so I can check for internal pips.

Is it forced air?

:hugs

:celebrate that's excellent news!!

:frow cuddle them as soon as they are fluffy!!

I wait a minimum of 24 hours, usually more like 30. Just keep a eye on it and make sure it's peeping and membranes don't seem dry.

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    So I was going to send Amy a pm (like I do during every hatch for advice and moral support) and I realized, "wait we have a thread for this"! I have a wrong side pipper, that pipped into the membrane. It's been only about 18 hours. The pip is super tiny but it just made a little crack. So there has just been a tiny bit of progress while I was writing this post. I'm thinking about giving it a few more hours to see if the chick will make the pip bigger itself or if I will need to go in and do it for him...
    [​IMG]

3. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop

:celebrate

:weee

:frow was looking for you the other day. Didn't you recoup a slipped tendon? Is that baby still around?
    I had one, but didn't get lucky with it. :(

These are ducks, correct?
    Ducks take longer, 40+ hours even, so don't panic too soon.

4. zmcolbert

zmcolbert Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Yes they are ducks.. Thanks, I was a little concerned with the color of whatever is sticking out slightly. It's brown. But I hear the duck making noise.

1 person likes this.
  5. SHillChickMan

SHillChickMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    Ok I have a two day old baby chick that can't stand up. It kicks it's legs vigorously but doesn't seem to have balance or leg strength. I know you lose some but was wondering if there was anything I can do to help.

6. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Are the legs spraddled out to the sides?

7. SHillChickMan

Apr 4, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    No....it lays on one side but doesn't appear to be spraddle legged. Seems like more of a balance issue......seems very vigorous otherwise. Thanks

8. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Oh yeah. Up north, we're still not out of the chilly weather and lots of us are still heating our homes and that makes for very dry air, especially wood stove and wood pellets stoves. I can run dry spring/summer and stay about 30%, mid fall and winter w/o anything it holds about 16% so a wet sponge is needed.

Awesome!

Double awesome!! Congrats!!

Welcome to the thread. Great job for someone so young! Dry and active is when I start my cuddling! [​IMG] I love my mixes.

My mixes are awesome layers too.

Not knowing is the thing I like best and the variety of not having all of them look the same.

Give it time.

[​IMG] Keep us updated!!

Good catch. There's my weakness. I forget people hatch out things other than chicks...lol

An odd leg/foot problem here or there isn't uncommon, but if you start having multiples in one hatch you should look at the layers and egg quality and the temps and humidity during incubation to pinpoint if there's something a little off causing the problems.
    I would ask too about spraddle leg first. If you can add a pic that would also help.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  9. SHillChickMan

Apr 4, 2011
    Western Kentucky
    I have 17 others that seem fine.....just want to help this one if I can
    Not sure if I know how to add a pic on here

10. WVduckchick

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop