Hands on hatching and help

Moved one of my 7 juveniles roosters to chicken coop today, to much fighting hope it doesn't cause issues with my drake and the grandparents chickens don't hurt him.

Hi I'm trying to hatch 2 goose eggs. Today is day 13 and they still look like normal eggs when candled. My friend that have them to me said they develop slower than ducks. What should I see today day 13? Chinese geese not shipped. I incubated 2 days after they were layed. Incubated like my ducks but more misting.

I would almost rather he lose the nail just so you can see what's going on underneath. Glad to hear it's looking better.

I agree 100%.. even just to give it a chance to heal 100% and not have anywhere for something to hide for the next few weeks and pop back up.. the nail bed has to be dead under the top portion of his nail, so just playing the waiting game now. He has a follow up Wednesday so going to see if they can try n cut away the dead nail at the very least

Not quoting all those long posts! Lol

@WildHens glad you got the LOs set! I hope they do well for you. :hugs

@RubyNala97 how are the calls coming along? I can't believe you are in lockdown already. Probably feels long for you, but seems like the loner hatched just a few days ago to me! Lol
Yes, Seramas. I traded some of my LO eggs for Seramas, so I have 19 starting. They came from Florida, the cells were almost all wonky and saddled. Some worse than others. I'll get a pic and post from the computer tomorrow. They are small, but bigger than the quail eggs, and about the same size as my sebright and OEGB eggs. I actually weighed some out of curiosity, smallest 19 grams, largest 31 grams. Big range, so we'll see! WildHens has serama too, and hopefully I'll get some from her eventually for line diversity!
Glad your boys finger is improving too!

@Blooie I took a piece of rubber shelf liner and scotch taped it across my lid. Love it, thank you for the initial thought!!

@AmyLynn2374 beautiful pics! They grow so fast, too stinking cute. Lovin the Spitz!!

@AmyLynn2374
Love, love, love the pics!! That white one with the dark feathers really has me scratching my head! I've seen darker ones feather in white but never the reverse. Very interesting. And that first grey one has some top hat!! Hoping that one is a girl. Either way it's going to be beautiful. I really like the spitz too. I had never seen one in person until a few weeks ago, it was still a teenager but I loved it! I got a great pic of the duck and my son yesterday. I'll post it here.

It's an egg.

No way! Wow. That is a crazy egg!

Happy Mother's Day to all. More egg death.! No development at all, well got the lamp on the dog house, it's cutting it close have to watch it closely around birds, question because it so close. Do I have to use it all the time. I like just to youse it at night or does it have to be on 24/7. They still have the one over food bowl and water dish,
[/IMG]

What are you using the lights for? You can NOT depend on just the clips. They can easily come loose. I used some metal wire and tied the light around a metal lock thingy that was on the coop. I triple layered the wire. I would make sure it's anchored to something.

Hi I'm trying to hatch 2 goose eggs. Today is day 13 and they still look like normal eggs when candled. My friend that have them to me said they develop slower than ducks. What should I see today day 13? Chinese geese not shipped. I incubated 2 days after they were layed. Incubated like my ducks but more misting.

I was just catching up on the goose incubation thread today. They look like amazing birds to hatch. By day 13 I would think the most you would see is veining. Depending on how easy the shells are to candle you might be able to see the embryo. Just shine the light into the air cell and look under the cell to see the veins. Good luck! Id love to follow your hatch!

I'm was supposed to lockdown yesterday with my shipped call eggs. But the air cells seem on the small side so I'm waiting for the first internal pip to up humidity but I stopped turning a couple days ago. 6 were still alive yesterday. All the eggs look so weird except for two. I would think they are all quitters but I learned my lesson on my last batch, plus they are moving around. I'm hoping to give my single call a friend. He is such a good boy (I don't know the sex but think boy). He really loves me and the kids like we are his family. I took this pic yesterday and just love it!

@AmyLynn2374
Love, love, love the pics!! That white one with the dark feathers really has me scratching my head! I've seen darker ones feather in white but never the reverse. Very interesting. And that first grey one has some top hat!! Hoping that one is a girl. Either way it's going to be beautiful. I really like the spitz too. I had never seen one in person until a few weeks ago, it was still a teenager but I loved it! I got a great pic of the duck and my son yesterday. I'll post it here.
No way! Wow. That is a crazy egg!
What are you using the lights for? You can NOT depend on just the clips. They can easily come loose. I used some metal wire and tied the light around a metal lock thingy that was on the coop. I triple layered the wire. I would make sure it's anchored to something.
I was just catching up on the goose incubation thread today. They look like amazing birds to hatch. By day 13 I would think the most you would see is veining. Depending on how easy the shells are to candle you might be able to see the embryo. Just shine the light into the air cell and look under the cell to see the veins. Good luck! Id love to follow your hatch!

I'll candle tomorrow night& take pictures. Hopefully this sight will let me upload them this time.

We went and got another heat light fixture. We just need to get another bulb. I think partners going to try and get the light a little closer to dog house enough to shine in dog house but not able to get knocked down. I told him not in dog house because hope can't see. And she may knock into it.

I'm a little confused. . Why the heat lamp if the mom is hatching? Or is it just to extend her light hours?
Are you losing eggs under her, or in an incubator? Is she alone or with a group where other ducks can get in? What sort of nest? House? How many eggs under her at once? Is she sitting regularly?

Back
Top Bottom