Hands on hatching and help

We now have 6 hatched, all have needed some assistance 4 have needed complete hands on assistance. Here are the first 3, the others are drying as they are about 20 minutes old lol.

One looks like it might have splayed leg, it was upside down in the egg. Does this look like splayed leg?

We now have 6 hatched, all have needed some assistance 4 have needed complete hands on assistance. Here are the first 3, the others are drying as they are about 20 minutes old lol.

One looks like it might have splayed leg, it was upside down in the egg. Does this look like splayed leg?

Looks like you got some blue fawns, cute!

That is a big webby, lol... give it a few hours and see if it gets its webs under him first...

Looks like my broody cemanis will only have one chick. Some of the other eggs vanished, one was broken (which I suspect was the fate of the missing eggs) and two were late deaths. So they have one chick - and they might not even get that one if they don't shape up. When I pulled them from the nest into the chick raising area they were totally ignoring the poor thing and instead going crazy scratching in the shavings while it cried. I stuffed them and the chick back into the nest and they settled down and it went under them but if they don't shape up they won't get to keep it.

I'm also pretty miffed. I did the first candling on the sultan eggs I got. 14 were sent to me for free besides the cost of shipping. Those are doing phenomenally. All except two that had floating air cells are developing. Then there's the 12 I paid for. First, I was a little annoyed that I didn't get sent any extras, but they all arrived intact, so no harm, no foul. However, upon candling, only 2 of 12 are developing! And it's not a case of rough shipping because their air cells are all intact. Plus they all came in from the same area of Florida, just two different breeders, so I really wouldn't be surprised if the boxes were together for most of the journey.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure I was sent eggs that aren't even fertile. When I get home I think I'm going to crack some and check for the bullseye. I'm debating messaging the seller. I know shipped eggs are a gamble but to have only 2 of 12 intact eggs with perfect air cells start developing...something's not right there.

I read everything under the sun in preparation for my first hatch. When lockdown came everyone in the house knew that incubator would not be opened, under any circumstances until hatch was over and all the chicks were fluffy! I eagerly watched as my chicks hatched and then a chick zipped but did not push out of the shell. I waited and waited and hours went by, until instinctually I opened the incubator and gently pulled the top of the shell off, as a perfect beautiful chick popped out and looked at me, as to say "thanks". Since that first hatched I have assisted and helped chicks, quails, and peachicks come into the world. From non-progressers, to malpositioned pips, etc. The key for me is timing. Finding the right time to help, not to soon and not to late. Like Amy, almost all of my assists have gone on to be healthy birds. I use both a brinsea mini and an octagon 20. Both Eco models. I use a little higher humidity for incubation and like it very high at hatch. I keep a close eye on my eggs during hatch and have my own philosophy that as long as they internally pip I will get them out alive if they can't do it on their own. I used to be so nervous anytime I opened the incubator or touched a pipped egg and I would send Amy a million messages, just for the reassurance that it would be okay. I hope that's what comes out of this thread. Reassurance and guidance that you can save that chick!

Back
Top Bottom