Hands on hatching and help

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (probably a dozen times). I did try to search the thread but I must not be using the exact, perfect keywords. The eggs I have in the incubator were all shipped. In almost every one of the 27 eggs, the air cells were floating all over in them, which I expected. So they sat for a time, then they were checked again. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, most of them seemed to be stable. I think I counted 11 that were still very wobbly - I'll have to recheck my notes. Anyway, when they went into the incubators I put them all with the pointy end down, fat end up, because of the air cells. Now, Blooie's stoopid question of the day - (and I'm sure will be many more) I see that most people incubate and hatch with the eggs on their sides. Is there at time in this process that I should shift mine to that position, or should I leave them the whole time? I dunno - I'm wingin' it here!!
When you say floating do you mean if you were to lay it on it's side and roll the egg, the air cell would follow you? it would look like a bubble? this is called deatached air cell. Or do you mean if you lay the egg on it's side it stays at the larger end but you can see if moving around, doesn't go past the top, just moves around at the top? this is called loose air cell..

I'm glad I found this thread. I'm having a lot of trouble with this hatch. This egg got rolled over pip side down so I removed the two hatched chicks, righted the egg, and added water to my Brinsea. This morning no progress and the membrane was brown and stiff. I applied a wet q-tip and it immediately started to pip more but it's stuck at this stage. Looks like the membrane has hardened and it can't get out. What to do? There are two more eggs in the bator, no visible pips, but I haven't checked yet to see if they are also pip side down.

I wet a paper towel with warm water and put it over the dry membranes. You can also tease away the membrane. At the first sign of bleeding, STOP. Wait a couple hours and resume. If the bleeding doesn't immediately stop, you can put a small piece of toilet paper on the bleed. Pete55 gets more serious "Hatching Tool Kit - surgical tape, surgical gauze, alcohol hand gel, Inadine Dry Powder spray, Q-tips, forceps, artery clamps, surgical scissors, bleeding control spray, magnifying glass, artificial skin spray (for damaged eggs), clean towels, pencils, plastic boxes for isolation of eggs or hatchlings."

This may help if you decide to go for it - www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck!

It hatched!!!!

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (probably a dozen times). I did try to search the thread but I must not be using the exact, perfect keywords.  The eggs I have in the incubator were all shipped.  In almost every one of the 27 eggs, the air cells were floating all over in them, which I expected.  So they sat for a time, then they were checked again.  AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, most of them seemed to be stable.  I think I counted 11 that were still very wobbly - I'll have to recheck my notes.  Anyway, when they went into the incubators I put them all with the pointy end down, fat end up, because of the air cells.  Now, Blooie's stoopid question of the day - (and I'm sure will be many more) I see that most people incubate and hatch with the eggs on their sides.  Is there at time in this process that I should shift mine to that position, or should I leave them the whole time?  I dunno - I'm wingin' it here!!  
if you have an automatic egg turner, then the fat end up like you have it. When it's time to go into lockdown then you remove auto egg turner and lay them flat. I put cheesecloth covered with paper towels for them to hatch out on. Lockdown is when you up the humidity for hatching. I hope I understood your question correctly.

Forgive me if this has been asked and answered (probably a dozen times). I did try to search the thread but I must not be using the exact, perfect keywords. The eggs I have in the incubator were all shipped. In almost every one of the 27 eggs, the air cells were floating all over in them, which I expected. So they sat for a time, then they were checked again. AS FAR AS I CAN TELL, most of them seemed to be stable. I think I counted 11 that were still very wobbly - I'll have to recheck my notes. Anyway, when they went into the incubators I put them all with the pointy end down, fat end up, because of the air cells. Now, Blooie's stoopid question of the day - (and I'm sure will be many more) I see that most people incubate and hatch with the eggs on their sides. Is there at time in this process that I should shift mine to that position, or should I leave them the whole time? I dunno - I'm wingin' it here!!
Some people hatch upright and some lay them down on the sides. With shipped eggs with wobbly air cells the belief is that it's better for them to be upright until they at least stabilize. You're using the turner, right? Most people take them out at hatch time and lay them down to hatch or put them in cut down cartons to hatch. It's mostly just personal preference.

It hatched!!!!
Since he's hatched out I guess I don't have to chime in. LOL Congrats!!

I know right? What huge feet!

Follow up question: The remaining 2 eggs haven't even pipped. Do I remove the newly hatched chick now while I still can, or wait till it's dry? The reason I am itching to take it out is that I don't want to open the lid again once the others have pipped and I also don't want this chick to play soccer with the remaining eggs. I have a brooder ready.

Some people hatch upright and some lay them down on the sides. With shipped eggs with wobbly air cells the belief is that it's better for them to be upright until they at least stabilize. You're using the turner, right? Most people take them out at hatch time and lay them down to hatch or put them in cut down cartons to hatch. It's mostly just personal preference.

Since he's hatched out I guess I don't have to chime in. LOL Congrats!!
Blooie - never a dumb question.

X 2. Like Amy said, personal preference.

I like to start the lockdown upright in cartons for the eggs I'm worried about. My local eggs and any shipped eggs that look normal at hatch time, I lay them down

Back
Top Bottom