Hands on hatching and help

Um, dare I ask.......?
Depends what you are asking...lol Booie still looks like a boy.....lol

Amy - your silkies are so adorable! And congrats on your surprise chicks! I'm sorry you may have to cull one, that's never easy.
1f641.png
Thanks. And yes, it was. I went out this morning and delt with it before my son was awake. Not easy. Hope I don't have to do it again for a long time.

I think one wants to use a calcium that can be readily absorbed, and calcium gluconate is, as is calcium citrate. The amount I give is ~50 mg per pound, and I always give with plenty of fluids.

-Kathy
Ok, I believe they had the calcium gluconate there. She said that was only for IV. The info I was reading said calcium mangnesium citrate, so t hat was what I was looking for. Thanks for the info I will definitely keep that saved. Now the gluconate can be given orally at the same dosage?

Sorry I haven't been posting much, been recovering from a minor surgery. But I wanted to thank you all for your excellent advice. We are in the midst of our second hatch and it is going great, thanks to tips from all of you. 11 of 22 eggs made it to lockdown, and so far all but 1 egg have hatched.

Here are the first 7 in the brooder:

And these three are still drying in the incubator:

That last one had trouble getting out and was bleeding a little. Now it's laying on its side and its legs are shaking, so I'm not sure how it'll do.

But overall this hatch has been a breeze and the first 7 are already eating and running around. Thank you all so much for your help and advice!
Hope you are feeling better. Congrats on the babies.

Can he still be Blooie even if he's a boy? And which one is he? I'll bet Katie's Silkies from @RubyNala97 will be as gorgeous as yours - sure hope so. Mine have been in with the rest of the chickens for about a week now, and they love it. We opened the portal doors between their brooder and the rest of the run, and they did the rest. No problems except for one little booger that wasn't content to harass and pull feathers out.

Remember how Ken was so grumpy about Silkies? "What do we want those for?" Yeah, well yesterday he came in holding one of the Banty roosters by the feet. "What do you want me to do with this basta-you-can-guess-the-rest." I said, "I dunno - what's wrong with him?" There was an exasperated sigh and Ken replied, "He's out there killing my Silkies, that's what he's doing, and I'm tired of it. Can't stop him, don't need him, I'm about to cull him. The little booger has figured out he's small enough to follow them into the portals so he goes after them and attacks where they can't get away from him."

Wait, wait.....lemme see if I've got this - "YOUR Silkies? As in the ones you thought were cute but otherwise totally useless and a waste of time, space and food? THOSE Silkies?"
barnie.gif

Can he still be Blooie even if he's a boy? And which one is he? I'll bet Katie's Silkies from @RubyNala97 will be as gorgeous as yours - sure hope so. Mine have been in with the rest of the chickens for about a week now, and they love it. We opened the portal doors between their brooder and the rest of the run, and they did the rest. No problems except for one little booger that wasn't content to harass and pull feathers out.

Remember how Ken was so grumpy about Silkies? "What do we want those for?" Yeah, well yesterday he came in holding one of the Banty roosters by the feet. "What do you want me to do with this basta-you-can-guess-the-rest." I said, "I dunno - what's wrong with him?" There was an exasperated sigh and Ken replied, "He's out there killing my Silkies, that's what he's doing, and I'm tired of it. Can't stop him, don't need him, I'm about to cull him. The little booger has figured out he's small enough to follow them into the portals so he goes after them and attacks where they can't get away from him."

Wait, wait.....lemme see if I've got this - "YOUR Silkies? As in the ones you thought were cute but otherwise totally useless and a waste of time, space and food? THOSE Silkies?"
barnie.gif
Love it!!! They really grow on you that's for sure...lol
I'll try to get a good pic of him by himself for you. I think he can still be a Blooie....lol
I cleaned out my first coop in order to keep them separate so that if I have interest next year I can breed and/or sell eggs and I know they will be pure. But at the moment I have the momma and babies in there with them until I figure out what I am doing with them.

Here are the pics of my quail! My very first hatch!! Thank you to all of those who helped me through this!!! It was soo worth it!

:clap looks like a nice assortment of colors!

Can he still be Blooie even if he's a boy?  And which one is he?  I'll bet Katie's Silkies from @RubyNala97
 will be as gorgeous as yours - sure hope so.  Mine have been in with the rest of the chickens for about a week now, and they love it. We opened the portal doors between their brooder and the rest of the run, and they did the rest.  No problems except for one little booger that wasn't content to harass and pull feathers out.

Remember how Ken was so grumpy about Silkies?  "What do we want those for?"  Yeah, well yesterday he came in holding one of the Banty roosters by the feet.  "What do you want me to do with this basta-you-can-guess-the-rest."  I said, "I dunno - what's wrong with him?"  There was an exasperated sigh and Ken replied, "He's out there killing my Silkies, that's what he's doing, and I'm tired of it. Can't stop him, don't need him, I'm about to cull him. The little booger has figured out he's small  enough to follow them into the portals so he goes after them and attacks where they can't get away from him."

Wait, wait.....lemme see if I've got this - "YOUR Silkies?  As in the ones you thought were cute but otherwise totally useless and a waste of time, space and food?  THOSE Silkies?"  :barnie

:lau that's stinkin hilarious!!

Blue-ey Blooie - Blue is for boys ;)

Back
Top Bottom