Hands on hatching and help

It's eating and drinking ok. We definitely don't use a drip bottle for the ducks. They need something they can wet their beaks in. :)
Yes we won't let that one reproduce for sure. I'm a little worried. I went back to check on her and she is now sneezing a bit and I can hear a bit of a click. Sounds like a respiratory infection maybe. Would it be ok to start her on antibiotics just in case? That's what helped my little silkie chick.
Yeah. I'm only going off of my research as well. Our at the time 5 silkie chicks all turned out to be frizzled. I'm of coarse a book worm so I researched the poo out of it lol. Nothing I read said it only happens on occasion but who knows. I have no personal experience but the pics were so terrible. It was enough to turn me off of frizzles. I just don't want that responsibility. Their are lots of breeders who take care though. :) and they are so cute. :)

Since it won't be a breeder anyways, it couldn't hurt to give it some I don't think... sometimes there are more issues than the visible bill deformity as well... all you can do is your best, so I say go ahead... :)

I have to say someone today tried to reprimand me for letting a chick lay next to my daughters head because it pecked her in the eye lol. It was one of the little silkies and we both laughed so hard about it. I posted the pic on Facebook and this lady was serious saying how if her chickens do that she gets rid of them right away and she teaches her kids to not let the chicks near their face.. well la di da. We just let them peck us in the face lmfao..

Omg, I watched one of my comet broody's babies actually grab her eyelid and pull on it! Momma just took it! Made me cringe :gig
I edited :D

Hi room!

Ok I have been trying to,let nature take it's course but I'm looking hope. One chick fully hatched yesterday(early) and 6eggs in incubater with it. Ugh after feeding kids I go peek&one egg exploded. I took it out quickly (temp only dropped 2degrees&went back up) I'm pretty nervous I'm not seeing any pips.
This was a home experiment as all these eggs where over a week old&had been in the refrigerator.(totally not joking) I'm sure everyone thinks I should deserve what I get but this lone chick is so strong&beautiful! Any thoughts?

Take the others out and candle for sure, at least that is what I would do. :)

Need some help guys. Sorry to blow this thread up but i just noticed this with one of our little ducklings. Beak looks to be bent or squished. I didnt see this at hatch but dont know how this could have happend any other time..

I've not seen this but read the back & forth between you & Ravyn and I'm filling it in what is left of my memory bank. I hope he does good!

That's the main reason I'm getting rid of Armand. With him being frizzled, I can't keep any other frizzles at all, so I'd rather keep his daughter (and if any of Katherines new babies turn out to be frizzles). But...it is NOT a lethal gene. Its just not advised to breed them together. It "usually" makes their feathers really brittle, and they break easily, and don't grow well. Not great for a chicken, so breeding them together is just not advised. I think that's where the confusion comes from, because some still do it, and some even have ok luck with them. ETA - at least, from my research, that's my understanding.

Oh, I have to show yall my little full assist baby now. So happy I saved this little cutie!

Yes, that is what I read too. I forget the %'s that I read but enough to not want me to try it.

That baby is so cute!! Look at the personality on that face!!! :love

I have to say someone today tried to reprimand me for letting a chick lay next to my daughters head because it pecked her in the eye lol. It was one of the little silkies and we both laughed so hard about it. I posted the pic on Facebook and this lady was serious saying how if her chickens do that she gets rid of them right away and she teaches her kids to not let the chicks near their face.. well la di da. We just let them peck us in the face lmfao..

Lol! Definitely don't let ducks near her face then! Our house duck has attacked all of us in the eye at least once!!! :gig

Since it won't be a breeder anyways, it couldn't hurt to give it some I don't think... sometimes there are more issues than the visible bill deformity as well... all you can do is your best, so I say go ahead... :)

Ok thanks. I will try. I hope it makes it because of coarse we are already attached. I'll prepare for the worse though just in case.

Take the others out and candle for sure, at least that is what I would do.
:)
X2
I've not seen this but read the back & forth between you & Ravyn and I'm filling it in what is left of my memory bank. I hope he does good!
Me too!!
Yes, that is what I read too. I forget the %'s that I read but enough to not want me to try it.

That baby is so cute!! Look at the personality on that face!!! :love
Lol! Definitely don't let ducks near her face then! Our house duck has attacked all of us in the eye at least once!!! :gig

Eye pecker... I'm not even going to go there....or did I just?
gig.gif

Oops, lost part of your quote, no surprise. But I have also heard that about sensitivity in them too. Like Jennifer, just going on what I've read too, mostly here.
You just.....lol

I let them on my shoulders but the minute their face tilts toward mine I cover my eyes!!! My older ones got me twice. The second time I couldn't see out of that eye for almost a whole day!! It was awful...lol I don't trust them when they are that close and looking in my eyes....lol

Even the babies aren't alowed too close to my eyes...lol I wouldn't get rid of them though, that's silly, it's natural instict for them to peck moving (or non moving) dots...lol

You just.....lol

I let them on my shoulders but the minute their face tilts toward mine I cover my eyes!!! My older ones got me twice. The second time I couldn't see out of that eye for almost a whole day!! It was awful...lol  I don't trust them when they are that close and looking in my eyes....lol

Even the babies aren't alowed too close to my eyes...lol  I wouldn't get rid of them though, that's silly, it's natural instict for them to peck moving (or non moving) dots...lol

Lol hopefully we all close our eyes if they are close enough to them lol. I just felt bad for her chickens. They do something that all chickens do and then get rehomed for it. It's silly to expect chickens to be anything other then we'll chickens lmao.. :p

Here are my two little bed invaders:

I tried to take them out to let them play in the sun but they were too overwhelmed so after I took this picture we came back inside.

Back
Top Bottom