Hands on hatching and help

I wanted to share this because it's kinda cool. I've been dealing with two malpo'd AC chicks. One hatched on its own, the other hadn't hatched, and all the rest of the chicks had, so I decided to see what was up.

As I opened the egg, I applied coconut oil to the membrane. And the membrane turned glass clear. Check this out:

Very cool. And if you look you can even see the tiny bit of yolk it still had left to absorb. I of course put it back in the 'bator after this to let it finish up absorbing.

Great pictures!

You usually don't have to worry about opening it a couple of times for issues like this. Should be fine.

On another topic I use about 1/4 tsp. or less in 2-3 OUNCES of water. Greater concentrations in hatchlings and newborns can cause diarrhea. Not the way you want to go in an emergency.

I toOK all the hatched peeps and stuffed them under the two most recent broodies, and went out this morning to find the idiot broodies batch running around with her, but one stiff apparently dead chick, and a cracked but unhatched egg still in the nest. I picked up both and noticed the tiniest breath from the wee blue thing.

Barreled my gimpy way into the house. Ran a hot bath in the sink for her and was eventually rewarded with peep and kick and struggle. I then blew her dry making sure any stuck down feathers were ungooed, wiped down and cleaned the incubator.Then because chicks like this often develop breathing trouble, I wiped down the interior with Oxine. Unactivated because I didn't have time to dry it thoroughly. She'said drinking water and molasses like a champ when it's offered, every fifteen minutes or so. Standing peeping and gaining strength. I'll be checking the status of the unhatched egg after it also has time to heat thoroughly. I've seen chicks hatch from eggs abandoned a day or more that were stone cold. Even ones that should have been at the point of hatching but were about 60 degrees.

Hatching is an art, not a science, nature actually allows for idiot hens and odd ball things that happen, or there would be no wild fowl.

Always warm and dry a rescued wee thing, before you offer it warmed sugar or molasses water. Always water successfully and repeatedly before feeding a rescued wee thing. Baby guts do not work if an animal is still chilled. Water is more necessary at first then food. Dehydrated animals also cannot digest food. In chicks the grow gel can be offered fairly quickly after heating and hydration. Because it is also mostly water.

I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm glad the sticky chick is the incubator mad man. It's a great sign.

I'll take a pick of the baby blue later. I was due at PT at 11 and had to reschedule to 1:00pm so gotta run soon. The PT receptionist thinks I'm insane. That's the second time chicks made me move an appointment.

You usually don't have to worry about opening it a couple of times for issues like this. Should be fine.

On another topic I use about 1/4 tsp. or less in 2-3 OUNCES of water. Greater concentrations in hatchlings and newborns can cause diarrhea. Not the way you want to go in an emergency.

I toOK all the hatched peeps and stuffed them under the two most recent broodies, and went out this morning to find the idiot broodies batch running around with her, but one stiff apparently dead chick, and a cracked but unhatched egg still in the nest. I picked up both and noticed the tiniest breath from the wee blue thing.

Barreled my gimpy way into the house. Ran a hot bath in the sink for her and was eventually rewarded with peep and kick and struggle. I then blew her dry making sure any stuck down feathers were ungooed, wiped down and cleaned the incubator.Then because chicks like this often develop breathing trouble, I wiped down the interior with Oxine. Unactivated because I didn't have time to dry it thoroughly. She'said drinking water and molasses like a champ when it's offered, every fifteen minutes or so. Standing peeping and gaining strength. I'll be checking the status of the unhatched egg after it also has time to heat thoroughly. I've seen chicks hatch from eggs abandoned a day or more that were stone cold. Even ones that should have been at the point of hatching but were about 60 degrees.

Hatching is an art, not a science, nature actually allows for idiot hens and odd ball things that happen, or there would be no wild fowl.

Always warm and dry a rescued wee thing, before you offer it warmed sugar or molasses water. Always water successfully and repeatedly before feeding a rescued wee thing. Baby guts do not work if an animal is still chilled. Water is more necessary at first then food. Dehydrated animals also cannot digest food. In chicks the grow gel can be offered fairly quickly after heating and hydration. Because it is also mostly water.

I'll take a pick of the baby blue later. I was due at PT at 11 and had to reschedule to 1:00pm so gotta run soon. The PT receptionist thinks I'm insane. That's the second time chicks made me move an appointment.
Wow that's so lovely. Looks like the chick is going to do just fine after you saved it
1f423.png
well done you

1f60a.png
That is wonderful!!

Kathy, a member I sent over here a few days ago mentioned a molasses concoction she mixed up for her ducklings that were struggling after hatch... last update they were thriving and doing great after a very rough start... @thendara maybe you could let us know how you made it?

Btw, thanks everyone for helping her out... she did 6 assists out of 7 and was very successful!

Hey guys thank you for all the help!!! I've been caught up in baby duck world today and apologize for delay in responding ( plus I am being a news with understanding how to reply properly, I hope I'm doing so) ok so recipe I got from this site it's :

DIY ELECTROLYTE SOLUTIONS

Recipe #1 My absolute favorite.

2 c. Warm Water
2 tbsp. Brown Sugar, Honey or Molasses (I prefer molasses)
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
I've also been adding a little apple cider vinegar to their water, daily.
Again big thank you and love to all you folks who supported me through this so relieved to be here!
Here's our two smallest who were both breech and needed mega help to hatch. A sketchy night or two and I think we are good.
2764.png
1f986.png

Can't remember who asked about the dry hatching but it's been successful. Both my quail and chicken eggs have started hatching on the their due date. Never had this before and getting better hatches too
1f60a.png
1f423.png

Ok one has pipped on the pointy end. I have no experience with this it's a first for me! I removed the bit of shell it was trying to push off and as it came off it gave a big peep so I think that was a thankyou! Will it be able to continue on its own or will it need assistance?

Ok one has pipped on the pointy end. I have no experience with this it's a first for me! I removed the bit of shell it was trying to push off and as it came off it gave a big peep so I think that was a thankyou! Will it be able to continue on its own or will it need assistance?

A lot of times they can do it on their own. I had two last batch (for some reason I had a lot of malpos from those eggs, I think it was because I had then in without the rails and turning kept flipping the eggs into odd positions) and one was fine, made it out on its own. The other one got out on its own after I opened the shell up, so it may or may not have actually needed the help.

A lot of times they can do it on their own. I had two last batch (for some reason I had a lot of malpos from those eggs, I think it was because I had then in without the rails and turning kept flipping the eggs into odd positions) and one was fine, made it out on its own. The other one got out on its own after I opened the shell up, so it may or may not have actually needed the help.
It's still absorbing so I'll leave it for a few hours I have another that nipped a vein so had some blood not to much. I was expecting some problems as they are shipped but the first one pipped zipped and hatched in about 8 hours which is less time than my quail did!

Back
Top Bottom