Hands on hatching and help

I have 3 with a space in the membrane large enough that their bills are showing and I can see lots of feathers. I peeled back the shell and moistened the membrane with Vaseline. They are opening and shutting their bills as if they are trying to say something and if I talk to them they give me the sweetest little peeps
1f495.png
I am in love, I have to make sure they all hatch and are healthy. Thank you so much for the help
1f60a.png

You think your in love now....Just wait till they get here! I felt the same way during hatch, that's so funny. They really are amazing little creatures. I was so scared to go to fast because I didn't want to hurt her. So I really took my time. And once they are half way out like my last pic, I waited for her to push out of the shell on her own. I didn't pull or tilt her out once I got the whole top half off and her head out. I just put her back and about a half hour later (I was freaking out the whole time) she got a big burst of energy and pushed out on her own. And she's been my special baby ever since. Hopefully I have some friends hatching for her next week! Keep us posted!! :fl

I need hands on hatching help! LOL! I have a silkie egg in the incubator that had slipped by me and gotten under a broody. It looked at least a week behind development of the others that hatched two days ago. I pulled it about 2 weeks ago. Anyway. I came to turn the eggs, no lockdown, I never saw an internal pip or anything and look what I find...a big pip! But there has been no draw down and when I candle the egg does NOT look pip ready. Looks like day 18. I don't hear peeping but I see movement when I candle. I'm going to bed soon but if I don't hear peeping in the morning I will make a bigger hole and look. This egg is so weird! No drawdown but a pip (was not pipped at 9:30pm when I turned last. Now 11:45pm)..anyone ever have that before?

Eta: heavy veining and a good space between where the chick meets the membrane. My good candler is in the room where the baby is sleeping.

I just checked on this egg. No peeping, no movement at all that I could see. Just heavy veining and a lot of space still under the air cell. So I was pretty sure it pipped early through to much veining and was not alive. I opened the pip hole just a tiny bit and saw a beak right there breathing normal. :confused:
So I put it back. That egg is going to need a lot of time. Amy always says my eggs are weird and this one definitely confirms it!

I just checked on this egg. No peeping, no movement at all that I could see. Just heavy veining and a lot of space still under the air cell. So I was pretty sure it pipped early through to much veining and was not alive. I opened the pip hole just a tiny bit and saw a beak right there breathing normal.
hu.gif

So I put it back. That egg is going to need a lot of time. Amy always says my eggs are weird and this one definitely confirms it!

Very strange Ruby. As long as it can breathe, and you know it looked behind, I think I would not rush this one.
fl.gif

Those eggs that my broody mama left.... 3 were still alive and 1 had internally pipped. The other 2 looked really far behind, like day 18ish... Well, I was about to turn the incubator off, night before last, and I checked the last egg, and it had internally pipped! So I took it outside and put it under another broody, and I'll be darned, it hatched yesterday! That's like 8 or 9 days after those first ones hatched! And it looks perfectly normal. No matter how much hatching I do, I'm sure I will never cease to be amazed by these animals!

Hey everybody, just wanted to update you on my three keets I hatched last week: two of them are doing great, eating and drinking like champs and more than doubled in size!

The little chick I hatched is not doing well at all. He started going downhill yesterday. I was able to get him to drink electrolyte water from a syringe, but he refused to eat. Tried mush, tried egg yolk, nothing. Today he can barely stand and can't hold his head up at all.

I know what this means and how it's gonna end, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the chick-saving tips they've shared, because I tried them all and I know I did everything I could.

I have him wrapped in a towel right now and he's snuggling into me. All I can do now is make him comfortable.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement, it makes this easier.

Hey everybody, just wanted to update you on my three keets I hatched last week: two of them are doing great, eating and drinking like champs and more than doubled in size!

The little chick I hatched is not doing well at all. He started going downhill yesterday. I was able to get him to drink electrolyte water from a syringe, but he refused to eat. Tried mush, tried egg yolk, nothing. Today he can barely stand and can't hold his head up at all.

I know what this means and how it's gonna end, but I just wanted to thank everyone for the chick-saving tips they've shared, because I tried them all and I know I did everything I could.

I have him wrapped in a towel right now and he's snuggling into me. All I can do now is make him comfortable.

hugs.gif

Very strange Ruby.  As long as it can breathe, and you know it looked behind, I think I would not rush this one.  :fl

Those eggs that my broody mama left....  3 were still alive and 1 had internally pipped.  The other 2 looked really far behind, like day 18ish...  Well, I was about to turn the incubator off, night before last, and I checked the last egg, and it had internally pipped!  So I took it outside and put it under another broody, and I'll be darned, it hatched yesterday!  That's like 8 or 9 days after those first ones hatched!  And it looks perfectly normal.  No matter how much hatching I do, I'm sure I will never cease to be amazed by these animals!

I know. I've been keeping a close eye on it and was going to lockdown once I saw it starting to drawdown. I had just turned it 2 hours before and never even saw an internal pip or anything. I'm hoping once it hatches I can give it to the mom that hatched a few days ago. Strange it's not peeping at all but I can see the beak now and it's clearly moving around in there. After I saw the pip I only filled one well in the mini and humidity was at 90! Imagine if filled both like the manual says!

I'm so glad you were able to stick the eggs under the broody and it worked out good! I guess you just never know what they are capable of! I always think of Ravyn that had stuck the leftover egg in the bator and found a perfect hatched chick at 30% humidity!

So sorry to hear that! I'm dealing with a sick young pullet myself and once you start working one-on-one, you really get attached! It's hard! :hugs like you said all we can do is make them as comfortable as possible and let them know they are not alone.

Back
Top Bottom