Hands on hatching and help

I don't know. We were messaging back and forth for a while (a couple weeks) then when I suggested that she definitely not, not turn them, no reply and haven't heard back since. And you know me, I was totally nice about it but it must have turned her off.
Ok, so the experiment has been done! I don't want to sound harsh or anything but I was afraid if I tried it, I would hatch a bunch of malformed chicks. At least I know the outcome was none hatching
Since you said they were shipped and from what you describe I'm thinking they are saddle shaped??
Trust me, we are all insane and that's why we get along so well!
Congratulations on the hatcher! You have to post pics of this guy/girl!! And that is great that you're getting more eggs. Don't hesitate to ask any questions and recalibrate your instruments before the new set! :)
I totally understand what you are saying. I'm a single mom to 3 boys and I'm also a crazy chicken lady. I think most of us are! Glad you joined the thread!
I'm pretty sure because they are shipped she thinks she'll get a better hatch rate. She didn't specific how bad the air cells were. When I asked she said "what you would expect shipping to Alaska".

That's a cop out... I know a lot of eggs go through the PO to Alaskan rough, but a lot go through just fine... :/

I'm in the middle of a difficult hatch here. Had a cemani that was internally pipped but something didn't look quite right. I opened it up a little bit and saw that it had pipped very close to the bottom of the air cell and that there was a lot of liquid in the egg. It was inhaling liquid. There was nothing I could do until the veins in the membrane at the top of the air cell finished absorbing but I did open the air cell up all the way and tried to position it so it wasn't in the liquid so much.

The veins absorbed and I pulled the membrane back and slipped its head out. It's now in a cup to finish absorbing. I'm not optimistic though - chances are good that it already aspirated some fluid.

:hugs

Well I just pulled a full assist. Told myself not to, but what could I do?

My broody got off her last egg sometime this morning. It was cold. So I brought it inside, candled, and still saw movement. Heard chirping and could tell the membrane was weird when candling, so I made a safety hole, put it in the styro bator, and left for the evening. Get this...I didn't turn the incubator on! Its in my spare bedroom, a/c vent off, so it was about 80 inside the bator. So I got home, assuming it would be dead. Wrong. So I started opening the shell. Finally figured it was upside down, internally had pipped near the pointy end. Just what I had asked Pyxis about the other day! The membrane had drawn away from the shell, all the way down one side. So I proceeded to peel away shell and moisten membrane. It kicked a foot out and I had belly exposed, and could see that it was fully absorbed, so I chipped away until I found beak.
I chipped alot away! It finally rolled out of what was left. I've now turned the incubator on, around 95*, and its laying, chirping. Dont know if it will survive, or if I will have to cull for whatever reason made it malposition, but it sat with no heat for at least 12 hours.

This was an egg that didn't really matter to me if it hatched or not, so I kinda experimented. So we'll see.

Oh, that bator hasn't been sterilized since I last used it either.

My broody got off her last egg sometime this morning. It was cold. So I brought it inside, candled, and still saw movement. Heard chirping and could tell the membrane was weird when candling, so I made a safety hole, put it in the styro bator, and left for the evening. Get this...I didn't turn the incubator on! Its in my spare bedroom, a/c vent off, so it was about 80 inside the bator. So I got home, assuming it would be dead. Wrong. So I started opening the shell. Finally figured it was upside down, internally had pipped near the pointy end. Just what I had asked Pyxis about the other day! The membrane had drawn away from the shell, all the way down one side. So I proceeded to peel away shell and moisten membrane. It kicked a foot out and I had belly exposed, and could see that it was fully absorbed, so I chipped away until I found beak.
I chipped alot away! It finally rolled out of what was left. I've now turned the incubator on, around 95*, and its laying, chirping. Dont know if it will survive, or if I will have to cull for whatever reason made it malposition, but it sat with no heat for at least 12 hours.

This was an egg that didn't really matter to me if it hatched or not, so I kinda experimented. So we'll see.

If it helps, the one I helped out the other day is entirely healthy. It's very vigorous and eating and drinking. It was just too big and pipped in a weird spot. Hopefully the same will be of yours :fl

Congrats!

-Kathy

If it helps, the one I helped out the other day is entirely healthy. It's very vigorous and eating and drinking. It was just too big and pipped in a weird spot. Hopefully the same will be of yours
fl.gif
Another congrats!

-Kathy

Congrats :)

If it helps, the one I helped out the other day is entirely healthy. It's very vigorous and eating and drinking. It was just too big and pipped in a weird spot. Hopefully the same will be of yours :fl

Sounds like exactly what happened! I hope our results are the same too. So do I give it back to the broody that left it?

Here is our stubborn little Serama "Coco". As she dries her coloring is turning out to be quite pretty. She is a feisty little one. :) Thanks for helping me get her here guys! :)

Back
Top Bottom