Hands on hatching and help

Just an update on my most recent hatch last week- we had 4 Mille/ Calicos hatch out of 5 that locked down. These were my first babies from my cochin group :) 4 healthy Milles, the last one was DIS. It was a wrong end pip that was on the underside of the egg and I didn't know it pipped. When I pulled it after the others hatched to candle it, I saw it wasn't moving and started to enlarge the pip. It was already gone but looked like it pipped into a vein the best I can tell.
1f61e.png

I also had cjwaldon's Ayam Cemani contest eggs in there- we got 1 beautiful chick. Those eggs took a beating through the postal system, arriving with several rolling detached or loose and badly saddled eggs. I had 3 of 7 start, 2 quit. I thought this last egg was a long shot but it made it!
1f604.png

If I had seen this before I went to bed, I may have tried it, but I missed it. This morning, he's all fluffed up and moving around a little, but looks like leg issues. The both-legs-sticking-straight-forward issue. I think my broody Katherine knew better, and now I almost wish I hadn't assisted. But I gave him some nutridrench and some water, so I'll give him a little more time and see what happens today.

Beautiful chick

I was thinking about the chick I had that had it legs forward and would do that happy feet dance. After 24-48 hrs it was fine. Maybe after some time this one will strengthen up. That nutridrench is great!

Just an update on my most recent hatch last week- we had 4 Mille/ Calicos hatch out of 5 that locked down. These were my first babies from my cochin group :) 4 healthy Milles, the last one was DIS. It was a wrong end pip that was on the underside of the egg and I didn't know it pipped. When I pulled it after the others hatched to candle it, I saw it wasn't moving and started to enlarge the pip. It was already gone but looked like it pipped into a vein the best I can tell.
1f61e.png

I also had cjwaldon's Ayam Cemani contest eggs in there- we got 1 beautiful chick. Those eggs took a beating through the postal system, arriving with several rolling detached or loose and badly saddled eggs. I had 3 of 7 start, 2 quit. I thought this last egg was a long shot but it made it!
1f604.png

At least you got 1! Congrats!

Thanks, Ruby!
Fwiw I wouldn't try the no turning experiment myself. I have a feeling they would start but end up quitting on you without turning.
highfive.gif
you're not alone! I'm also a stay at home mom to 4 kids ages 2-13 and chickens have become my hobby too. Thankfully my best friend also happens to be my husband and he enjoys the chickens and supports my chicken addiction...for the most part lol. My kids love the birds too. My non-chicken friends mostly give me the "oh...I understand now- she's crazy" look
lau.gif

Awesome news!!!

Nice job on the assist!! I had one of my Mille /Calicos who also had the straight forward legs after I helped it hatch. It would paddle furiously when it would try to stand.
1f622.png
I went ahead and tried a small ponytail holder with a twist in the middle placed just above the hocks and it was all good in a couple of days. I have no idea which one it was now.
fl.gif
for your chick!!

Hi there, mutual-crazy-chick-lady!
big_smile.png

Thanks for that encouragement. Seems like I had one of these issues before and I couldn't remember if it was one that recovered, or not. So maybe this one will
fl.gif

1f61e.png

1f604.png

Congrats on the hatch.
yippiechickie.gif
Glad the little AC made it too!
I just got 2 boxes of eggs shipped in yesterday. Surprisingly, both boxes fared very well. A few rolly air cells and 2 fairly detached, but overall, not bad. Chocolate orpingtons and self-blue OEGB's.

I was thinking about the chick I had that had it legs forward and would do that happy feet dance. After 24-48 hrs it was fine. Maybe after some time this one will strengthen up. That nutridrench is great!

I appreciate that! Thanks! Just in the few hours from the time I got up until I left for work, I saw good improvement.

And as bad as that Nutridrench smells, it is awesome stuff!

Thank you all for the comraderie. Its nice to know there are other crazy chicken Mama's. :D Congrats to those with recent hatches and saves! There have been so many and that little serama is gorgeous!
I just wanted to jump on and announce I have my first internal pip. So cool to see!
Also, regarding these being shipped eggs. 2 of them DID have saddle shaped air cells, but on day 18 I decided to lay them on their side over night to see what happened and they actually fixed themselves. They've all drawn down now and are shaped perfect, but I'm still not sure about positioning. I have a feeling that there may be some issues with that and I'm hoping for at least a 50% hatch so that they will have a buddy. Only 4 out of 6 eggs made it past day 7. One wasnt fertile and one was scrambled.

1f61e.png

1f604.png

I had my first 2 assist pip through a vein. It was so strange. Knowing what I know now I assume they must have been malpositioned. They both lived though. I ordered some ayam cemani from ebay which I know is taking a chance bit I've had good luck with other eggs from this breeder. She is so sweet. They are all at 5 days and developing. If they turn out to be what they are supposed to I'll give you her profile to order some. She is very reasonably priced. :)

Is it common to have an internal pip but no noise? And do their respirations speed up once they pip? From my medical background, it makes sense that with the increase in CO2 would come increase in respirations. My little chick is quiet and breathing fast.

Should be fine as long as when you tap on the egg you can still hear chirping or pecking. :)

When I tap, there is nothing. It moves around and is breathing fast, but it is not chirping or pecking. Its an internal pip. No external yet. I tried to do a search for info on the search bar and found a post about the chick aspirating fluid. Now I'm a little nervous. :/

When I tap, there is nothing. It moves around and is breathing fast, but it is not chirping or pecking. Its an internal pip. No external yet. I tried to do a search for info on the search bar and found a post about the chick aspirating fluid. Now I'm a little nervous.
hmm.png
Personally, I know much of nothing, but I really feel like me giving my Serama baby that little safety hole in the top of its air cell, after it had been 22 hours since internal pip, more time to figure things out and the oxygen and strength to make it out.

Back
Top Bottom