Hands on hatching and help

I'm dealing with two chickens with wry neck symptoms. 1 is a little D'Uccle pullet and the other is alittle silkie pullet. I have them both together and in the house. The D'Uccle is worse in some ways then the silkie. She won't really eat or drink for me but I do see her eating and drinking on her own here and there. But she just has that terrible look in her eyes. I'm thinking of putting her down. :( The silkie won't eat or drink on her own but globs down food and water for me when I hold her and hold the food up to her. I'm doing 3 drops of nutridrench 3 x day, then I am crushing selenium/Vit e in yogurt and giving a soda capfull 3 x day but today I switched to mixing it with chick starter and hard boiled egg yolk in a mash. The silkie loved that but not the D'Uccle. I'm going on vacation in 1 week and I know I can not get someone to do this 3 x day. So I'm really hoping it goes one way or the other. Any other insight or tips? Think antibiotics would help any??

That's crazy. I think it's because we are in the hottest point of our summer and we have been in a drought for the last like 7 years. It's very dry where I live and this last week it was around 107 degrees all week. :(

Just goes to show how much ambient humidity affects incubator humidity! We've been really hot too but extremely humid. You can't go outside without your hair looking like you stuck a fork in an electrical outlet! :gig

I'm dealing with two chickens with wry neck symptoms. 1 is a little D'Uccle pullet and the other is alittle silkie pullet. I have them both together and in the house. The D'Uccle is worse in some ways then the silkie. She won't really eat or drink for me but I do see her eating and drinking on her own here and there. But she just has that terrible look in her eyes. I'm thinking of putting her down. :( The silkie won't eat or drink on her own but globs down food and water for me when I hold her and hold the food up to her. I'm doing 3 drops of nutridrench 3 x day, then I am crushing selenium/Vit e in yogurt and giving a soda capfull 3 x day but today I switched to mixing it with chick starter and hard boiled egg yolk in a mash. The silkie loved that but not the D'Uccle. I'm going on vacation in 1 week and I know I can not get someone to do this 3 x day. So I'm really hoping it goes one way or the other. Any other insight or tips? Think antibiotics would help any??

Yes I think antibiotics might help. My little yellow silkie had a similar issue. I also thought wry neck and then maybe a hatch problem. I started her on antibiotics and she is like a new chick. I'm offering save a chick electrolytes and probiotics at night and the antibiotics during the day. It may not be the problem but nothing to lose right... :)

Just goes to show how much ambient humidity affects incubator humidity! We've been really hot too but extremely humid. You can't go outside without your hair looking like you stuck a fork in an electrical outlet! :gig

Oh geez that sucks. I actually cut my hair really short after having my son. I regret it now cause its crazy unmanageable and now I can't just thow it up in a ponytail lol

I'm dealing with two chickens with wry neck symptoms. 1 is a little D'Uccle pullet and the other is alittle silkie pullet. I have them both together and in the house. The D'Uccle is worse in some ways then the silkie. She won't really eat or drink for me but I do see her eating and drinking on her own here and there. But she just has that terrible look in her eyes. I'm thinking of putting her down.
sad.png
The silkie won't eat or drink on her own but globs down food and water for me when I hold her and hold the food up to her. I'm doing 3 drops of nutridrench 3 x day, then I am crushing selenium/Vit e in yogurt and giving a soda capfull 3 x day but today I switched to mixing it with chick starter and hard boiled egg yolk in a mash. The silkie loved that but not the D'Uccle. I'm going on vacation in 1 week and I know I can not get someone to do this 3 x day. So I'm really hoping it goes one way or the other. Any other insight or tips? Think antibiotics would help any??

It sounds like you're doing all you can. Maybe just keep it up until right before you leave and make the decision then? Increase the nutridrench dose?

Have you checked your feed? Two unrelated chickens with wry neck at the same time could be a nutritional problem?

Last edited:

I'd say you will know your answer within a day or two. I think either they get better quickly or just continue to go downhill. :hugs

4 babies. 2 roos, 2 pullets, I think. Two with dark legs and 2 with light legs, but the last 2 were pretty sticky so I washed them and dried with blow dryer. Waiting for them to fluff up so I can examine their heads.

I am amazed. Using a styrofoam bator, LG 9200, shipped eggs with detached air cells which became saddled, and it being my first hatch, I got 100% hatch rate. That just goes to show you how much great info is on this site and how many helpful people are apart of it. Thank you all for contributing!

:hugs
Hope it straightens out for you!!

4 babies. 2 roos, 2 pullets, I think. Two with dark legs and 2 with light legs, but the last 2 were pretty sticky so I washed them and dried with blow dryer. Waiting for them to fluff up so I can examine their heads.

I am amazed. Using a styrofoam bator, LG 9200, shipped eggs with detached air cells which became saddled, and it being my first hatch, I got 100% hatch rate. That just goes to show you how much great info is on this site and how many helpful people are apart of it. Thank you all for contributing!

Congrats!

:yesss: Congrats

Back
Top Bottom