Hands on hatching and help

Hey guys!!!!! I have a quick question. My BCM hen has decided she might be broody. I saw this am sitting and when I looked underneath her I saw one of her eggs. Well for s and g I gave her 2 more eggs which she slid underneath herself. I have been gone all day and got home to find her still sitting on the eggs. So I want to put some underneath her, however everytime I move her to the broody cage she wants out....but when she gets back into the nesting area of the main coop she sits. :/ Im stumped. What should I do?

I don't have any experience with this but if it were me I would try to section the area she is in off until later..

Hey guys!!!!! I have a quick question. My BCM hen has decided she might be broody. I saw this am sitting and when I looked underneath her I saw one of her eggs. Well for s and g I gave her 2 more eggs which she slid underneath herself. I have been gone all day and got home to find her still sitting on the eggs. So I want to put some underneath her, however everytime I move her to the broody cage she wants out....but when she gets back into the nesting area of the main coop she sits. :/ Im stumped. What should I do?

I don't have any experience with this but if it were me I would try to section the area she is in off until later..

That works, but then either have to set up food and water next to her or get her out at least once a day to eat, drink and poop...

Otherwise, mark the eggs (use a sharpie, everything else ends up wearing off) and leave her there... just pull any new eggs that show up each day...

Well.....I am going to guess her some time in the cage on fake eggs and see if she settles on them. She was eye balling them just a second ago. Lol!!

I don't know if I can just leave her in the original space.....it's a weird setup where tall the other hens lay their eggs and where they roost. So she may get them if they go up there. Lol!!

Very cute! How are you sexing them by their wing feathers? I know that males are much more lightly barred than females but I didn't think you could tell that until they were more feathered in.

reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm

I was just reading that this isn't useable in every breed so, I may be wrong, but the ones I thought could be a pullet and the one I knew was a pullet both have the staggered pin feathers starting. The roos are all even in a row.

reprod/ReproTech/Feathersex/sld006.htm

I was just reading that this isn't useable in every breed so, I may be wrong, but the ones I thought could be a pullet and the one I knew was a pullet both have the staggered pin feathers starting. The roos are all even in a row.

I've heard only certain breeds are compatible. If you get ones like the wyandottes they have the slow feathering gene so the females will be feathered very quickly and the boys will still be all fluff. Also another one that only certain breeds carry lol. I can tell by the comb as early as a few weeks though so the feather sexing I leave to others lol. :)

Ok scratch that it's more like constipation. A blockage preventing her from pooping. We didn't come this far to lose her now from stupid constipation!!! Any help would be appreciated...

I was under the impression. That paste up could go internal and cause constipation if allowed to build up. Wondering if this is just the case?
Anyways, I assume you guys have syringes that you are feeding chicks chick sav and stuff? I would continue to use those with her to make sure she is getting enough fluids. I would also use a little olive or safflower oil in a syringe and try and place it in the vent opening. Don't force the oil in, but try and allow the oil to lubricate the hard poo. It might not come out right away, but oil will penetrate the feces over time and soften it.

Back
Top Bottom