Hands on hatching and help

Oh boy!!! Hopefully my hatch goes well
fl.gif
Candling showed good veins in my eggs so far!!!! How often should I candle to monitor the air cells? I don't want to candle more than needed, since opening the bator lowers the humidity...but want to make sure I am keeping an eye on them.

Don't ask Amylynn that she candles every day .
gig.gif
Candling can be done more often than you think . It really depends on how fast your Incubator recovers after being opened . If it recovers quickly then whenever you want to . In your case every three or four days should do . But it's up to you . Next time you pick up eggs from down the mountain candle them when you pick them up and as soon as you get to your elevation candle them again before you set . that way you know if the ride up the mountain caused an increase in air cell size .

Oh boy!!! Hopefully my hatch goes well:fl   Candling showed good veins in my eggs so far!!!! How often should I candle to monitor the air cells? I don't want to candle more than needed, since opening the bator lowers the humidity...but want to make sure I am keeping an eye on them.

7/14/18 should be enough. I think day 14 is the most important when considering air cells because it gives you enough time to adjust before lockdown. I might, in cases like yours throw in a day 10 candle to make sure they aren't too big.

Don't ask Amylynn that she candles every day . :gig Candling can be done more often than you think . It really depends on how fast your Incubator recovers after being opened . If it recovers quickly then whenever you want to . In your case every three or four days should do . But it's up to you .  Next time you pick up eggs from down the mountain candle them when you pick them up and as soon as you get to your elevation candle them again before you set . that way you know if the ride up the mountain caused an increase in air cell size .

Lol. :hugs I do understand her concerns though, because of the issues with humidity at high elevations. From what I understand from my reading on high elevations, they say birds in high elevations lay less porous eggs so eggs don't loose moisture as fast, so it's best to get eggs laid at the elevations that you are hatching in. It's very interesting stuff.

Don't ask Amylynn that she candles every day .
gig.gif
Candling can be done more often than you think . It really depends on how fast your Incubator recovers after being opened . If it recovers quickly then whenever you want to . In your case every three or four days should do . But it's up to you . Next time you pick up eggs from down the mountain candle them when you pick them up and as soon as you get to your elevation candle them again before you set . that way you know if the ride up the mountain caused an increase in air cell size .
LOL!!!! It is hard to keep my hands OFF the eggs! Good idea...I never thought about the effect on riding up the mountain on my eggs
hmm.png

7/14/18 should be enough. I think day 14 is the most important when considering air cells because it gives you enough time to adjust before lockdown. I might, in cases like yours throw in a day 10 candle to make sure they aren't too big.
Sounds good!!! I will check on day 10 and post my air cells again
smile.png
Thank you all for the help...I am learning so much!!!!

Last edited:
So I did the full assist the chick bled quite a bit, but not from the membrane from umbilical cord it is really mush and yellow and fell off. Chick is really week and doesn't look like the others. I don't think this one will make it. Thanks for all your help Amy

So I did the full assist the chick bled quite a bit, but not from the membrane from umbilical cord it is really mush and yellow and fell off. Chick is really week and doesn't look like the others. I don't think this one will make it. Thanks for all your help Amy
put some electrolytes in water and syringe it and give the chick a few drops. I had the same with one of mine I done that every hour and the next day it was just like the others.

put some electrolytes in water and syringe it and give the chick a few drops. I had the same with one of mine I done that every hour and the next day it was just like the others.

And cornstarch on where the bleeding was. I found that helps when they have a bloody navel from hatching weird. Had many survive this. Do need to be offering vitamins and electrolytes.

Back
Top Bottom