Hands on hatching and help

I have a pip
1f917.png

Went to check on our eggs and saw this little guy in there this morning! Guessing it hatched in the middle of the night. The other one who pipped is still working his way out. The little one in there now moved all the eggs to one side! Is that bad? Also I won't get home again until 7 tonight, is it okay to leave him in there for another 12hrs? I figured he'd be all dry and hopefully his friend would be ready to get moved too.

Another disasterious hatch I ended up w/ 6/20 Araucana which isn't horrible considering they are hard to hatch but only 4/10 local sussex eggs... as I sat yet again scratching my head over this expensive cabinet of chick death.... I decided to do a quick temp check using an alternative thermostat so the incubator has a 8-10 degree difference between the front (where the digital unit thermostat is) to the back bottom no wonder the eggs were hatching like they were in completely different incubators they basically were with that kind of temp discrepancy ugh!!! I'm going back to using my small plastic janoels for a cpl batches I have arriving today here is one of the cute little nuggets that did hatch

Went to check on our eggs and saw this little guy in there this morning! Guessing it hatched in the middle of the night. The other one who pipped is still working his way out. The little one in there now moved all the eggs to one side! Is that bad? Also I won't get home again until 7 tonight, is it okay to leave him in there for another 12hrs? I figured he'd be all dry and hopefully his friend would be ready to get moved too.

Too cute! Yes that's fine if you are comfortable with it. People swear they don't hurt the eggs by knocking them around. I personally feel there is a higher risk, but many have no issues. Congrats!

Another disasterious hatch I ended up w/ 6/20 Araucana which isn't horrible considering they are hard to hatch but only 4/10 local sussex eggs... as I sat yet again scratching my head over this expensive cabinet of chick death.... I decided to do a quick temp check using an alternative thermostat so the incubator has a 8-10 degree difference between the front (where the digital unit thermostat is) to the back bottom no wonder the eggs were hatching like they were in completely different incubators they basically were with that kind of temp discrepancy ugh!!! I'm going back to using my small plastic janoels for a cpl batches I have arriving today here is one of the cute little nuggets that did hatch

Sorry to hear that. Yeah, that's quite a temp difference.

I have a pip
1f917.png

wee.gif

love.gif
how cute! Congrats!

x2 with what Amy said.

Congrats on the ones that hatched! Sorry for the ones that didn't. Better luck with the next ones!

Did you have the eggs placed all over the cabinet? I found mine to have quite a temp variance also, so I just try to centralize the eggs where it seems most stable. Until I figure out how to get it evenly distributed. I'm thinking some kind of baffles or something.

Hey, any help with this would be great. The night before last, I was prepping our little brinsea incubator for lockdown and had a disaster. While filling the water tray, I bumped the egg basket off the counter and knocked all 18 eggs onto the floor. All but 2 had some type of damage, ranging from a few cracks to a couple of them having their shells completely smashed. I didn't know what else to do, so I just stuck them back in there to see if any can make it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a tragedy like this? I'm not sure if I should just plan on helping them all and try to drill them all a hole for air and help with the initial pipping of the membrane in case it dried out from the cracks. I don't know what to do for sure but I know if I just stand by most of them are going to die, if they hav'nt already from the fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey, any help with this would be great. The night before last, I was prepping our little brinsea incubator for lockdown and had a disaster. While filling the water tray, I bumped the egg basket off the counter and knocked all 18 eggs onto the floor. All but 2 had some type of damage, ranging from a few cracks to a couple of them having their shells completely smashed. I didn't know what else to do, so I just stuck them back in there to see if any can make it.

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a tragedy like this? I'm not sure if I should just plan on helping them all and try to drill them all a hole for air and help with the initial pipping of the membrane in case it dried out from the cracks. I don't know what to do for sure but I know if I just stand by most of them are going to die, if they hav'nt already from the fall. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry about that .What day are the on ? I have had cracked eggs and even a couple that were badly smashed hatch before . You might try liquid band aid on the ones that are slightly cracked . wish the girls were on . They might say coconut oil on the membrane . or something like that . But spike the humidity without making rain is what I would do . Will it work I don't know . Good luck and give them a chance.

Hey, any help with this would be great.  The night before last, I was prepping our little brinsea incubator for lockdown and had a disaster.  While filling the water tray, I bumped the egg basket off the counter and knocked all 18 eggs onto the floor.  All but 2 had some type of damage, ranging from a few cracks to a couple of them having their shells completely smashed.  I didn't know what else to do, so I just stuck them back in there to see if any can make it.  

Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with a tragedy like this?  I'm not sure if I should just plan on helping them all and try to drill them all a hole for air and help with the initial pipping of the membrane in case it dried out from the cracks.  I don't know what to do for sure but I know if I just stand by most of them are going to die, if they hav'nt already from the fall.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest wax over the cracks to seal it off.

They are just about to finish day 26 and it happened a day and a half ago. I wish I had got on here when it happened cos I never knew to try putting something on the cracks to try and keep em from drying out. They have been in lockdown since it happened with 75% humidity but I can clearly see one of the really smashed ones is shrink wrapping where the point of the egg used to be before getting busted off. Should I try pulling them out now to seal up the minor ones or is it too late???

I would coat any exposed membranes with coconut oil, Vaseline, or Neosporin. And at this point, repairing any cracks is probably too late. Just crank up that humidity and try to keep the exposed parts moist.

You will probably have to help them exit the shells, once they start wiggling around and seem like they are ready to hatch (depending on the severity of the breaks/cracks/chips, etc).

Can you post some pics?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom