Hands on hatching and help

You can also go into your watched threads, click to show all, that should open up all your what used to be subscribed threads and you can find threads you've been on or click specific forums those threads are in to go to that forum. I don't usually leave incubating and hatching, so I get lost going out in the world...lol

@Annjee Yes, I decided to assist by pulling away white membrane where chunks of the shell were fallen off and I could see it was loose already. I think it might actually be good, although it seemed a little stiff at first and the toes didn't seem quite spread out. But I never watched them pop directly out before. Loud and strong.

After candling the last 4 eggs I can tell that one still has life in it since it visibly jumped. But I couldn't tell the development stage. :confused:

I am planning on giving these chicks to a broody BR. A few have gotten drinks already. I'm thinking I can wait to see if the last 1 hatches until tomorrow night, since all chicks I've adopted before have been 5 ish days old. Do you think she can handle 9 or 10 chicks? :hmm It's unreal though how in nature the order in which they hatch and their tenacity has a lot to do with their survival. So fascinating! :pop

SO finally the first thing I love about the new format! :woot The draft saving, now I can go back to look at a post without loosing everything I already typed or opening another tab. :yesss:

ETA: @RubyNala97 I see it was actually you I was trying to answer and mistook for annjee. Thanks for your concern about my chick! :hugs

Last edited:
Two hatched and four more pipped. Day 23 so a little late hatching but all good so far I took the two out of the bator and put into the brooder.
IMG-20170530-WA0000.jpg

IMG_1712.JPG
3 Of the 5 that were pipped from last night . One completed hatch by my wakeup time of 3am. I assisted a tiny bit since one had pushed its whole back out and had obviously been pushing awhile. It took very little to chip a couple pieces off and set her back in the bator and she rolled right out. The third pushed out during that time. Another was zipping when I left.

Two hatched and four more pipped. Day 23 so a little late hatching but all good so far I took the two out of the bator and put into the brooder.
View attachment 1023587

View attachment 1023722 3 Of the 5 that were pipped from last night . One completed hatch by my wakeup time of 3am. I assisted a tiny bit since one had pushed its whole back out and had obviously been pushing awhile. It took very little to chip a couple pieces off and set her back in the bator and she rolled right out. The third pushed out during that time. Another was zipping when I left.

Congrats to you both!

There are features I like, and others I don't. I hate that the posts don't show the thread starter anymore. I like to help on posts, and you get a few talking and lose who was the op, then info starts getting messed up when others use that thread to question as well. I like that you can check multiple boxes in the watched thread to unwatchable all at once instead of individually, but I prefer the way it was set up as subscribed threads. I like the emoticon changes, can handle the pic changes. I like the alerts ok. Love the change of how you quote. I hated the old format, especially doing multiple quotes over pages. Lots of good things, lots of eh things to. I miss leaving messages in ovations.

I like the quote setup, especially that it quotes the text only and not every single picture over and over again (lots of folks didn't know to highlight and delete the duplicate pictures from their responses).

But what I DON'T like about that is that we've got so many extra steps. On the old platform, you clicked Quote and it appeared in the reply box so you could just start typing. This one you click quote, then click it again at the bottom on insert quotes, then again in the box that pops up asking if you want to put the quote in your message. HUH? Well, of course I do - I already dun tol' ya that 2 times already!!! Lots of things now take multiple clicks. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying to be ready to start typing but you still have one more box to click, and then another. <sigh>

I like the quote setup, especially that it quotes the text only and not every single picture over and over again (lots of folks didn't know to highlight and delete the duplicate pictures from their responses).

But what I DON'T like about that is that we've got so many extra steps. On the old platform, you clicked Quote and it appeared in the reply box so you could just start typing. This one you click quote, then click it again at the bottom on insert quotes, then again in the box that pops up asking if you want to put the quote in your message. HUH? Well, of course I do - I already dun tol' ya that 2 times already!!! Lots of things now take multiple clicks. It's not a big deal, but it is annoying to be ready to start typing but you still have one more box to click, and then another. <sigh>
Yes, if you were doing just single quotes the old format was easier. But the multi quote was a pain cause I'd flip a page after multi quoting 2 or three people and there'd be nothing else on the next page I'd want to quote, but you had to hit quote to use the multi quote...lol at least, that's how I used it...

Back
Top Bottom