Hands on hatching and help

He is 11. We talked about how some chicks might not make it. Weve had loss to predator and illness in our flocks over the years so he understands loss. Were still hopeful the chick will be alright! He still seems to be having trouble moving around this morning, but hopefully he keeps getting stronger!
My one I helped on Friday night didn’t properly walk till This morning. I think you’re son will have a special bond with it. I’m most fond of the little roo I helped last hatch and will hopefully be able to keep him. Hadn’t considered keeping a cockerel but ive found so many positive reasons to do so so I’m praying the no crow collar will work for him. There are many cockerels in our town but I don’t want to the neighbour from hell. If we can’t we will sell him as CCL are desirable!

I woke up this morning to find this:
B5899F23-C700-41B8-B3E2-8D1542108013.jpeg F3E47BB7-4C03-4DF4-AEDF-8A7E1BEFF11A.jpeg C03A624D-58A5-4E9F-82EC-15C32FB047DB.jpeg

I immediately grabbed the egg and luckily it cheeped at me. I quickly pulled the cap off and she popped out like a can of worms. Most of the membrane was not even broken, but enough was that it could still breathe.
BB657A3A-82DF-4BA2-81F1-8B960F2A6ACB.jpeg

Here's my assisted hatch this morning. His legs look twisted to me... maybe why he had trouble getting out? I can get better pics if needed

Attachments

• 20190818_075106.jpg
    20190818_075106.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 9
I woke up this morning to find this:
View attachment 1881514 View attachment 1881515 View attachment 1881516

Lucky little chick!! So glad you could save her!! I just emptied my bator of live chick and I've got more peeping going on in there. A little worried about shrinkwrap from removing the others tho. Humidity dropped to 64% even with 2 humidifiers going. No clue which egg is peeping at me:confused:

I immediately grabbed the egg and luckily it cheeped at me. I quickly pulled the cap off and she popped out like a can of worms. Most of the membrane was not even broken, but enough was that it could still breathe.
View attachment 1881517

Here's my assisted hatch this morning. His legs look twisted to me... maybe why he had trouble getting out? I can get better pics if needed

I found that with a few of my breeds, they couldn’t rotate to get out because of a messed up leg. Some I’ve ended up having to cull, others straighten out with leg banding or foot taping.

I found that with a few of my breeds, they couldn’t rotate to get out because of a messed up leg. Some I’ve ended up having to cull, others straighten out with leg banding or foot taping.

I've got some vet wrap and just made a chick chair.

Just went to check on the egg that was piped in the bator. Didnt have any movement or peeping from him anymore, so I took him out to check him. No movement or sound. Slowly started chipping away at the shell, blood vessels all were absorbed and the chick is fully formed, but died for some reason. The membrane was nice and wet as well, not shrinkwrapped at all. I feel horrible cuz maybe if I tried to help him before i went to the feed store he might be ok.

Would it be safe to check the progress of the other eggs in the bator at this point or do i risk shrinkwrapping them pulling them out to candle and listen?

If it makes a difference, I've got 2 humidifiers running full blast, a cool mist and a steam one. I feel like I'm in Alabama again.... HUMIDITY

I've got some vet wrap and just made a chick chair.

Just went to check on the egg that was piped in the bator. Didnt have any movement or peeping from him anymore, so I took him out to check him. No movement or sound. Slowly started chipping away at the shell, blood vessels all were absorbed and the chick is fully formed, but died for some reason. The membrane was nice and wet as well, not shrinkwrapped at all. I feel horrible cuz maybe if I tried to help him before i went to the feed store he might be ok.

Would it be safe to check the progress of the other eggs in the bator at this point or do i risk shrinkwrapping them pulling them out to candle and listen?

If it makes a difference, I've got 2 humidifiers running full blast, a cool mist and a steam one. I feel like I'm in Alabama again.... HUMIDITY

Aw I’m so sorry about that chick. That’s hard. Have they pipped?? I did all sorts saving my chick Friday evening and it did no harm to egg 3 because she didn’t externally pip and zipped within an hour until yesterday morning. I’m sure the vet wrap is going to work!

No one else had pipped that I could see. I just went and did some winterizing at the horse barn and some other stuff to pass a bit of time. It didnt take long. I haven't been back to check everyone yet.

I'm gathering as long as no one has pipped I'll be ok to go and candle everyone and see if they're ok? I've got the humidifier going in the room still and its swampy in there. I dont think shrinkwrapping will be an issue, but idk for sure.

Here is my chick chair and the full assembly with the baby in it. There is also a pic of the underneath and what I did with the vetwrap. Lemme know what yall think. My first time dealing with this. The chick has definitely perked up since I gave it the vitamins

Attachments

• 20190818_140220.jpg
    20190818_140220.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190818_140122.jpg
    20190818_140122.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190818_140126.jpg
    20190818_140126.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom