Hands on hatching and help

Hi there, My daughter and me are new to this group and hatching eggs in a incubator, usually we have mama hens,
So yesterday we had some chicks hatch and one of eggs were taking to long to unzip and we didn't know how long to wait, we helped it out and after it dried up its neck seems to be down to much and it peeps alot more then usual and doesn't want to eat, we gave it water by a spoon, anyone have ideas? Thanks so much ☺
Chicks dont need to eat for 48 hours after they hatch. Just keep it warm and leave it alone and hopefully it will come around. Make sure the other chicks dont peck it/pick on it. If it doesn't come around I suggest starting a new thread in the help/emergencies category. This thread is 4 years old, Best of luck.

I have my first hatching issue I need help with! The hatch is going very well so far, except one of the chicks that just hatched has what looks like a hernia... I’ve read about putting Neosporin on it and it will close on its own... Is this that kind, or is it anything more serious? @Pyxis ?

28AF9A42-C4D3-4068-AE98-50A676DECA75.jpeg

Here’s a better picture:

18322824-277A-4B76-B212-625F9244626E.jpeg

I put Neosporin on it with a q-tip and separated the chick from the others. I already have a wire basket in there to separate a set of eggs from the others. aren’t doing anything yet, so this chick can have the basket for now. There are two other wet hatchlings in the incubator with it right now, and I didn’t want them to peck at the red thing. The chick in question is looking good otherwise - flopping around and chirping loudly...

Here it is, in its private quarters:

7612B989-A9D5-4403-9179-052E1A821C42.jpeg

I have a little giant incubator and we just finished cleaning and sanitizing it and wanted to set it up for the next batch but when we plugged it in the humidity keeps being in the 70 and 80% range and I don't know how to get it down for the new eggs

Here’s a better picture:

View attachment 2096801

I put Neosporin on it with a q-tip and separated the chick from the others. I already have a wire basket in there to separate a set of eggs from the others. aren’t doing anything yet, so this chick can have the basket for now. There are two other wet hatchlings in the incubator with it right now, and I didn’t want them to peck at the red thing. The chick in question is looking good otherwise - flopping around and chirping loudly...

Here it is, in its private quarters:

View attachment 2096802

He's gotta finish absorbing it. Just make sure to keep him from rupturing it, and give it time. It will absorb more, and/or dry up and fall off.

Back
Top Bottom