Happy Egg Dance

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Linda in San Diego, Feb 28, 2009.

1. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    [​IMG]

Between yesterday and today I collected 18 eggs from the Delightful Dozen. Only one egg was under 2.0 oz, we were getting at least 4 under 2.0 before today. I definitely prefer the large to extra large sizes, I don't feel right selling small eggs to folks unless I warn them ahead of time.

The Delightful Dozen were hatched last March so they are moving out of pullet and into hen this month. Soooo Egggciting!

[​IMG]

I love having chickens. We have parrots and we prepare a moist food for them - brown rice, lentils, beans, squash, etc. What the parrots don't eat is taken out to the DDozen and they polish it off. I love the economy of not wasting food!

We also have lemon trees with branches laden with lemons - sometimes I am shocked at the price I would have to pay if I did not have my own.

I love being able to give away my eggs and lemons to friends and family.

Thanks for listening! (umm, reading)

[​IMG]

2. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    [​IMG]

Three cheers for your awesome girls!

3. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    Thanks - I am giving a fellow teacher who has a stay at home mom with his own flock of 4 kids a few dozen eggs next week. I warned him they might be smalls, but everything will be used by this family. When I told him about the colors the eggs would be, whitish, greens, and various shades of browns - some with speckles, he said his kids would love the "easter eggs". I can hardly wait to give him the eggs and hear how what his kids think of them.

[​IMG]

4. chemlight

chemlight Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2008
    Rydal, GA
    [​IMG]

5. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Awww, Lemon Meringue Pie [​IMG]!!

. . . packets of cornstarch/flour and sugar; pint of milk; cube of butter; eggs; lemons - in a store-bought pie crust . . . How's that for an Easter basket [​IMG]?

Oh heck, may as well mix 'em up and keep it at home [​IMG]!

Steve
    good angel, bad angel, good angel, bad angel, good angel, bad angel

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I too love being able to give lemons and eggs and goodies from the garden to friends. Just yesterday I picked some fresh swiss chard, fresh parsley and two dozen lemons and brought them to my friend, who is recoverig from cancer treatment. Oh yes, I also brought her a jar of my homemade sour dill pickles.
    And nothing goes to waste here either. If something does end up in the compost, the chickens scratch it up eventually.
    I even use lemons for cleaning. Sure beats the smell of most commercial cleaning products.

7. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds WONDERFUL! No lemon trees in Ohio, unless you have a greenhouse or room inside and a sunporch.

I think sharing things with friends and neighbors is one of the best things there is. Makes me wonder how stingy people survive in this world.

Be sure and tell your teacher friend the secret of getting such fresh eggs to peal well when making hard boiled! Otherwise they'll be pealing great chunks of white away with the shell and frustrated no end.

8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by