Happy ending for disabled chick

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
This Marans mix chick in the photo hatched out very small, and not steady on his/her legs. For two months she sat in the corner of the brooder, getting stepped on. I was about to cull her, but a job opening was posted in the coop. I put her with a couple of day-old chicks, in a separate brooder. (I was concerned about the day-olds getting crushed in the nesting boxes.) While she/he isn't specifically broody, she doesn't seem to mind the little ones snuggling up to her for warmth and comfort.
IMG_20230707_204039880.jpg

IMG_20230707_180021781.jpg
IMG_20230707_175554745.jpg

Last edited:
I had a rooster chick that had a wonky leg at hatch, the was getting stepped on. I separated him but he was lonely. I gave him new hatched chicks a couple weeks later, he was just getting back on his feet, and the new chick were learning to walk and eat. Soon with out hobbling he got better.
cvb.PNG

All summer long I have been saving one older chick from a group, (gentle hen) and putting them in with a younger group. They help raise the younger group.
My first batch I hatched for a friend, but wanted to keep one hen chick. When she was about 6 weeks old I put her in with 3 week olds.
Those grew up and another friend got that batch I was raising. I held one back from my friend because it was small for her age. That one went in with new chicks, and she was a real good momma.

Back
Top Bottom