Happy Story of the "Helen" Blind Chick

jenlhake

Hatching
11 Years
May 5, 2008
Well, early last week I wrote a post about a 3 day old chick that I discovered was blind asking for help. I got one response of a women who said to cull it and that she had had a similar experience, but her chick a serve mutation to its head. This chick does not.

I could not. Yes I love animals, but I thought would I kill a blind cat or a 3 legged dog. I decided I would not and that she would decide if she would want to live or not. I would not let her lay there and starve or suffer, but if she showed the will I was not going to stop it. Boy oh boy does she show the will.

Anyway, if anyone is interested "Helen" is now 11 days old and thriving along with all of the other chicks. I put their food in a cake pan and made a cardboard ramp to it, yes their pen is ADA accesible, and bought a large (5x10) wooden platter about an inch deep for water. This way is is easy for Helen to find. She now knows her way around.

I know she will not be able to free range during the day with the rest, but so far they accept her and she pushes them right out of her way. Of course we are assuming she is a hen. Either way even if we have to separate her out we are keeping her and she happily eats meal worm treats while perched on our fingers. I have watched her for hours and animals really are amazing. Other than giving her a treat now and then, which we do with the others as well, and modifying the eating situation, we have not done anything special for her. Okay, maybe we talk to her and tell her what an amazing chicken she is, but she has figured it outl. Just thought I would share.

Thanks.
smile.png
smile.png

Southern28Chick has a blind pullet she named Tiny. You can PM her, I'm sure she'd be glad to give you suggestions (she's been busy lately, so it may take her some time to get back with you). You can do a search for Blind Tiny on BYC to see the posts she's made.
smile.png

Good luck!

ebonykawai , you are so right. I did reread your original reply and do want to apologize. Thanks you for your kind words and my response was not meant to say that I thought your actions were wrong just that Helen didn't have the same severity of handicappidness (if that is a word). Thank you again.

Fabulous
clap.gif
I hope she/he continue to thrive. I agree with you, I would not cull either unless it was necessary.

nice!
i love it when people are willing to try working with "differences." i hope that all goes well for you and helen and that she lives a long, happy chicken life.
i have a disabled roo named special k and so far, so good!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom