Hard boiled egg question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Mike Fronczak, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak In the Brooder

Feb 16, 2012
    Hilton, NY
    we just started raising our own chickens this year. We hard boiled some of the eggs, they whites seem to adhere to the shell when you peel them as opposed to a store bought egg that the shell just slips off of. Is this normal ? The chickens are fed normal TSC crumbles, leftover veggies, and are allowed to free range a couple hours a day, in coop or fenced yard area rest of time

2. katescountryfarm

katescountryfarm In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2011
    South West Florida
    leave the eggs in the fridge for a week then hard boil. Remember the store eggs are not fresh.

3. At least a week!

4. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Songster

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    I noticed the same thing....

5. chickstreet

chickstreet Hatching

Aug 14, 2012
    I'd rather loose some of the white and have "fresh boiled egg" they taste so good !

6. rrrmamma

rrrmamma Songster

Jul 27, 2010
    New Concord,Ohio
    It has been posted before, but this works for me every time even with todays eggs:

Bring a pan of water to a boil
    Add salt
    slip room temperature eggs into boiling water
    boil for 14 minutes
    Remove from water and place in bowl of ice water.
    Let cool and peel. It seems to work on any size egg from Banty to x lg.
    Good luck and enjoy perfectly peeled eggs[​IMG]

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Boiling them fresh with some baking soda in the water also helps with the separation. And it doesn't affect taste. Not perfect but better than loosing whites or waiting 1-2 weeks

8. sarah92107

sarah92107 In the Brooder

I just tried hard boiling eggs from my hens laid today. The baking soda totally worked. The inside of my pot used to boil was a bit white, nothing some elbow grease couldn't fix.
    I'm so happy I t tried this! Best thing I've learned all week. :)

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Crowing

Nov 10, 2010
    For me, the biggest help in peeling boiled eggs is the ice water bath - right from the boiling water and into the ice water.

Cordelia_Adler likes this.
  10. yamahog3187

yamahog3187 Hatching

Oct 29, 2012
    Maryland
    Boil eggs. When done, crack the shells with a spoon or butter knife. (The key is to get hot water under the membrain inside of the shell.) Boil for 2 minutes more. Run each egg under cold water to create a tempature differential between the egg and shell. Peel. Letting the eggs sit @ room temp the night before also helps. (They are not as fresh that way. I prefer the fresh eggs.) It doesn't cure all of the sticking, but I can usually get 8 out of 10 eggs to peel clean without much trouble.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: