Hard boiled egg question

As soon as you are done boiling the eggs, put them in ice water. It really works!
I spoon them out of the boiling water and right into the ice water till they are cool enough to handle.

I just want to repeat what others have said about letting the eggs sit out for a few minutes to take the chill off. Boil the water first, then lower the eggs into boiling water, cook for 12-14 minutes, then let them sit in ice water. I have tried several different methods suggested at BYC, and this works the best for me.

Refrigerated hard-boiled eggs are harder to peel, but if you want them for deviled eggs or something, peel them when they are still slightly warm.

Last edited:
For the baking soda, i use about a teaspoon for 12-18 eggs. I now boil them in my corning ware (white ceramic) that way there is no weird residue. I'd say 11 out of the 12 will come out with no problem, but there is always that one that doesn't want to play by the rules....

I never thought of cooking them and then cracking while they are boiling so the water gets inside. I will have to try that. I do eat a lot of hard boiled eggs, they are so convenient, and if they're peeled before making their way into the fridge - i know every single one will be gone quickly.

Last edited:
I went ahead and tired cracking the eggs after they had been hard boiled but were still hot. I pulled them out with a spoon them hit them with the butter knife. It did make them a bit easier to peel. But I'm not sure if the effort vs the extra time made it worth it.

I'm sticking with the baking soda

Although with the baking soda, its almost as if the water can get hotter because sometimes I'll notice that it looks like I've burnt the eggs, like the side that is closer to the flame will be brown, not dark but as if it was starting to get crispy just a bit of a tan. that can be weird. But i will forget that I'm cooking the eggs sometimes they will boil for a half hour....... oops. good thing i always add extra water.

It has been posted before, but this works for me every time even with todays eggs:

Bring a pan of water to a boil
Add salt
slip room temperature eggs into boiling water
boil for 14 minutes
Remove from water and place in bowl of ice water.
Let cool and peel. It seems to work on any size egg from Banty to x lg.
Good luck and enjoy perfectly peeled eggs:drool
This WORKS. I'm so happy! It's so simple it's nuts. You bring the water to a boil FIRST. Then for me at least, boil and peel the "normal" way - add salt, put in the eggs, boil for however long you need to have them come out right, take off stove, put in cold water, cool and peel.

I tried it on a 2 day old egg, a 1 day old egg, and one laid just this morning. All three peeled perfectly, just like old store eggs do! YAY!

we just started raising our own chickens this year. We hard boiled some of the eggs, they whites seem to adhere to the shell when you peel them as opposed to a store bought egg that the shell just slips off of. Is this normal ? The chickens are fed normal TSC crumbles, leftover veggies, and are allowed to free range a couple hours a day, in coop or fenced yard area rest of time
This is absolutely normal. Waiting for your eggs to stale is not required if you know what chefs know. There is a membrane between the white and the shell that is the problem. This semipermeable layer needs to be broken down to get easy to peel eggs. Letting them stale is one way but why wait if there is another way? The secret is steaming them, boiling does not break the membrane down. If you have regular large chicken eggs, take a 4 quart pot, put in steamer basket and about 1-2 inches of water, it doesn't matter if the water touches the eggs a little. Put on heat to boil, put in about 6 eggs, place lid over the pot, steam for 13 minutes turning heat down to med to med high. Prepare 2 cups of ice and 2 cups of cold water in large bowl. After 13 min put them in ice bath. You don't need to peel them right away if you aren't going to eat them. Good for about 2 weeks. You may get the odd imperfection and sticking but I have found this to be about 99% effective with any eggs, fresh and old.

Back
Top Bottom