Hard bumpy vent and breast bone

Carolcoop

Chirping
Jul 15, 2018
My 2 month old chick has hard brown bumpy skin all around vent and on vent and it goes up her breast bone. I gave her a bath soaking the rear. It did not soften. She has diarrhea and is half the size of her siblings. She acts as though she feels bad. Any suggestions would be appreciated to help her or what is this. I would think her skin would be soft and pink under feathers back there. Other parts of her body are except breast bone and butt. Thank you for your help!

Meh... juveniles are weirdly bony to me. :confused:

She could have a hint of coccidiosis or maybe just poor genetics, regarding growth rate. What are you feeding including treats and supplements? How many birds in how much space? Recent weather conditions?

Brown bumpy skin does NOT sound normal... can you post pics? Is she outside? Possible mites or lice?

:fl

She could have a hint of coccidiosis or maybe just poor genetics, regarding growth rate. What are you feeding including treats and supplements? How many birds in how much space? Recent weather conditions?

Brown bumpy skin does NOT sound normal... can you post pics? Is she outside? Possible mites or lice?

It looks like a fungus maybe. Feeding Purina Omega 3, treats are June bugs, I have 19 chickens with a pen and house. Yard area is the size of 3 car garage. House has room for 12 to roost, others roost in the pen on saw horses. Feed probably should be baby food but everyone else is thriving. When I bathed her there was no dried poop on her rear just wet poop.

I helped my daughter with a picked on rooster. He had like a crusty Scaliness to his skin where feathers had been plucked.
We caged him and put a mixture of olive oil and castor oil on his skin. It took about 3 weeks of treating him that what and the skin came off like a snake shedding. We could see new feathers growing under it but just kept oiling to soften so we did not hurt him or damage the skin by pulling the hard stuff off.

Without a picture
or knowing if it had any picking or rubbing issues it is hard to offer helpful advice.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    395.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1920.JPG
    IMG_1920.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 16
First picture is the beast bone. You can see the nice pink bony skin and then the brown bumpy hard skin. Second pic is of the vent area it's hard and bumpy.

Last edited:
IMG_1919.JPG
I helped my daughter with a picked on rooster. He had like a crusty Scaliness to his skin where feathers had been plucked.
We caged him and put a mixture of olive oil and castor oil on his skin. It took about 3 weeks of treating him that what and the skin came off like a snake shedding. We could see new feathers growing under it but just kept oiling to soften so we did not hurt him or damage the skin by pulling the hard stuff off.

Without a picture
or knowing if it had any picking or rubbing issues it is hard to offer helpful advice.

Good luck.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will try the oil.

Further proof she is sick is she let me turn her on her side and back for pictures. Poor baby chick.

Chicks can suffer kidney damage if fed layer feed. It has too much calcium—4 % instead of 1%, and can cause gout. Until they start laying, I would switch everyone to Purina Flock Raiser or Chick Start and Grow, but lay out some crushed oyster shell for the layers to eat as they want for the extra calcium.

The chick should be treated with daily warm soaks in Epsom salts and water. You also could use betadine and soapy water instead. I would guess it is pododermatitis from laying in wet beding or mud, plus the diarrhea. She may have coccidiosis or failure to thrive, so I would start her on Corid in her water. You may treat the rest as well, or place her in a dog crate with clean pine shavings, plus food and water. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of Corid powder in a gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then afterward give her some vitamins and probiotics.

Back
Top Bottom