Hard bumpy vent and breast bone

Might mix some anti fungal in with oil and rub in well. Athletes foot cream or hot spot spray might help
have you bathed her?
Is she still able to use vent for pooping?
I have not seen anything like that but I would start with trying to soak her bottom side in some Epsom salt water then put oil or bag balm on it.

Chicks can suffer kidney damage if fed layer feed. It has too much calcium—4 % instead of 1%, and can cause gout. Until they start laying, I would switch everyone to Purina Flock Raiser or Chick Start and Grow, but lay out some crushed oyster shell for the layers to eat as they want for the extra calcium.

The chick should be treated with daily warm soaks in Epsom salts and water. You also could use betadine and soapy water instead. I would guess it is pododermatitis from laying in wet beding or mud, plus the diarrhea. She may have coccidiosis or failure to thrive, so I would start her on Corid in her water. You may treat the rest as well, or place her in a dog crate with clean pine shavings, plus food and water. Dosage is 1.5 tsp of Corid powder in a gallon of water for 5-7 days. Then afterward give her some vitamins and probiotics.
Thank you, thank you! Yes I will change the feed, get the medicine and spa day til she is better. I have 4 grown hens and I had no Ideal I could be harming the little ones with the wrong feed. Thank you again for the great info.

Might mix some anti fungal in with oil and rub in well. Athletes foot cream or hot spot spray might help
have you bathed her?
Is she still able to use vent for pooping?
I have not seen anything like that but I would start with trying to soak her bottom side in some Epsom salt water then put oil or bag balm on it.
LOL, Thanks, but I think that your suggestion of soaking daily, and putting antifungal cream may be good. Pododermatitis is scalding from wet or damp conditions. The chick may just be weak from illness, and lie around most of the time. That can lead to the dermatitis, and fungal infections are also common from soil. I would use Clotrimazole which is $1 at many Dollar Trees, and is the generic of Lotrimin. Coconut oil or plain neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment are others you could use. I think the soapy baths daily with a little gentle scrubbing with a wash cloth would do the most good. Then keep her dry. But also try the Corid, since coccidiosis is one of the most common reasons for diarrhea.

Keep us posted and if you use trip antibiotic make sure it has No pain reliever in it.

Good luck it sounds like she is in the best caring hands she could be in

Thank you, thank you! Yes I will change the feed, get the medicine and spa day til she is better. I have 4 grown hens and I had no Ideal I could be harming the little ones with the wrong feed. Thank you again for the great info.
You will see a big turn around. :thumbsup

Aside from the calcium issue eggcessive mentioned it can also delay the development and onset of lay as it is too low in protein for growing birds. Feathers are made of 90% protein and it's amino acids. Young birds go through a lot of mini molts before they get their adult feathers. It's important not to diminish the protein and vitamin/mineral content of their ration with low nutrient treats like scratch or corn. Some breeds or individuals may be effected worse than others. Which is a statement that is true across the board about everything our flocks may face.

Since I always have mutli age and gender flock, I always use flock raiser with 20% protein and 1 ish% calcium with oyster shell on the side free choice for layers. Majority of my birds are dual purpose so do better with more than the average 16% in most layer. Also it's just easier to feed everyone the same thing in addition to being what I can get, at a price I can afford, with a freshness date in an acceptable range, that meets the needs of my whole flock at a happy medium. However, 22% protein was shown to give the best hatch rate and so sometimes I cheat and add in turkey starter. I might do that during hatching, but also during molt. Most my hens recover faster and some return to lay sooner. But I'm not suggesting go overboard. :)

If you think the rest of your flock is thriving now... just wait until you make the switch! :pop

That is a weird bumpy bumm, I have never seen before. Thank you for sharing, so we can all learn!

ETA: I might offer a little yogurt and scrambled egg as nutritious treat to assist recovery. Of course chick starter or flock raiser are the best food choices. Good luck! :fl

LOL, Thanks, but I think that your suggestion of soaking daily, and putting antifungal cream may be good. Pododermatitis is scalding from wet or damp conditions. The chick may just be weak from illness, and lie around most of the time. That can lead to the dermatitis, and fungal infections are also common from soil. I would use Clotrimazole which is $1 at many Dollar Trees, and is the generic of Lotrimin. Coconut oil or plain neosporin/triple antibiotic ointment are others you could use. I think the soapy baths daily with a little gentle scrubbing with a wash cloth would do the most good. Then keep her dry. But also try the Corid, since coccidiosis is one of the most common reasons for diarrhea.
Okay, you have given me some good instructions I will certainly try to get her healthy.

You will see a big turn around. :thumbsup

Aside from the calcium issue eggcessive mentioned it can also delay the development and onset of lay as it is too low in protein for growing birds. Feathers are made of 90% protein and it's amino acids. Young birds go through a lot of mini molts before they get their adult feathers. It's important not to diminish the protein and vitamin/mineral content of their ration with low nutrient treats like scratch or corn. Some breeds or individuals may be effected worse than others. Which is a statement that is true across the board about everything our flocks may face.

Since I always have mutli age and gender flock, I always use flock raiser with 20% protein and 1 ish% calcium with oyster shell on the side free choice for layers. Majority of my birds are dual purpose so do better with more than the average 16% in most layer. Also it's just easier to feed everyone the same thing in addition to being what I can get, at a price I can afford, with a freshness date in an acceptable range, that meets the needs of my whole flock at a happy medium. However, 22% protein was shown to give the best hatch rate and so sometimes I cheat and add in turkey starter. I might do that during hatching, but also during molt. Most my hens recover faster and some return to lay sooner. But I'm not suggesting go overboard. :)

If you think the rest of your flock is thriving now... just wait until you make the switch! :pop

That is a weird bumpy bumm, I have never seen before. Thank you for sharing, so we can all learn!

ETA: I might offer a little yogurt and scrambled egg as nutritious treat to assist recovery. Of course chick starter or flock raiser are the best food choices. Good luck! :fl
Headed to Tractor Supply to get my supplies. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom