hard mass on chicken’s waddle, any ideas?

rezzmedezz

In the Brooder
Oct 5, 2022
my hen mabel, six years old, is acting very unlike herself. she is at the top of the pecking order and never gets bullied; we also don’t have a rooster. she has been showing every sign of sickness: lethargy, depressed appetite, hiding, and unusual posture. she never ran when i approached her and also didn’t make any noises. when i would pick her up she wouldn’t flap her wings or anything similar, along with losing lots of weight.

i put her inside for the time being in a large dog cage. on the first day i brought her in, september 22, she wasn’t eating but drinking lots of water (not even mealworms)! i mixed electrolytes in with all of the chickens’ water but gave her some as well. but yesterday, september 23, she was doing much better. she flapped when i held her and stayed with the rest of the flock (i thought it was sour crop but checked her first thing in the morning, offered grit, and smelt her breath. all of which was fine, although her crop was a bit mushy). she also ate plenty and seemed to be better overall. today, september 24, she was hiding again. she showed a decrease in appetite but still tried to run when i held her.

BUT!! after a thorough physical inspection i found a strand lump. there is an opening that has clear stretchy (or sticky) goo coming out. there was also some dirt or something stuck under her comb but it came right off without resistance. the lump is hard, warm, and there are almost two “balls” in it. any idea of what this could be? any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4402.jpeg
    IMG_4402.jpeg
    543.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4401.jpeg
    IMG_4401.jpeg
    307 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4400.jpeg
    IMG_4400.jpeg
    336.1 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom