Hard protruding bottom on my EE chick... scab... is there any hope?

Hmmm, very bizarre, I've never seen that before! Glad to hear her wound appears to be healing. I could be totally wrong about this, and someone on the incubating/hatching thread may know more, but that might be where she was connected to the yolk sack, which may not of closed up correctly at first. Again, I have no idea, but I've heard that can be an issue.

I was thinking the same thing... what if it's internal organ or her umbilical cord... like an infected hernia.... A local chicken lady advised me to remove the scab or cut open the pocket of puss to remove the infection. She say's Jasmins little kidney's can't handle the infection.

Have you started an antibiotic yet? I had a chick that had a similar looking scab only mine was worse and he died hours after birth. I'm thinking mine had Omphalitis. I just started the antibiotic on another one this morning and sprayed bactine on it.

awywicki - yes I started the antibiotics in the 1 leter watterer. the guy at the store said only a pinch so that's what I put in. I started her around 5 or 6 yesterday after noon. I noticed the scab on sunday night. She is still active, pooping, eating, drinking, flapping her wings, not much into the running... I think she's in a good deal of pain when she has to run or is stepped on by her flock mates. Some times I can hear a change in her voice when she's in what I think is pain. It's only happened in the last day or so.

Well she's still here. She actually is more active than ever... her wound is healing up and the over all size of the lump seems to have gone down a tiny bit. All in all she seems to be doing much better. She sat on my hand yesterday for a while and talked to me while the other girls fought for a worm. I'll keep you guy's updated.

Glad to hear she is doing well.

<3<3 I <3 Chickens <3<3 :

to clean her butt, rinse it off and but vasilene around her vent. Don't put her back with the others until her butt is dry.

?
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom