1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hardboiled backyard eggs - trouble with peeling them - help?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by BethESH, Nov 30, 2009.

1. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all -

I once again made deviled eggs last night, and once again, some of the eggs ended up peeling strangely. I never had this problem with store-bought, so this escapes me.

I did nine eggs last night and two of them did it - I did the light smash and roll method to start the peel, but chunks of the white stuck to the inside of the peels. I ended up with layers of white...

Very strange...any thoughts?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=115799

I have adopted this style an VERY rarely have a bad peel ... Did three dozen for thankshiving some just outta the coop and got a perfect peel everytime.. I use the first posts idea.. Not sure why they are harder either .. I just account it to healthier eggs , thicker shells , tougher membrane...

3. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
  4. ky chicks

ky chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2009
    I had given up on nicely peeled hard-boiled eggs until I tried the method above. I was sure it wouldn't work, but thought I'd give it a try, and it works perfectly!

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I steam mine in the rice/veggie cooker for about 12-15 mins and boom all done [​IMG] Throw them in the ice water and they peel great! Even the fresh ones!!

6. BethESH

BethESH Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks! I'll try it!

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Use a little bit of vinegar when you boil them.

8. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    The reason Store bought eggs peel better is they are older (they can be held 45 days before being shipped out). Older Eggs have more air in them.
    Fresh eggs have less air, therefore are harder to Peel. [​IMG]
    I prefer the fresher eggs from my hens to the store bought.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by