Hardware Cloth—what size and gauge

Pics

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
We are currently building the coop and run. We spaced the posts 4 ft on center, because I told hubby we could get 4’ hardware cloth. Now, I’m having trouble finding some. I was going to get 1/4”, but it is only available locally in 23 gauge. Will that be sufficient? Do I need to get 1/2“ 19-gauge instead. I was hoping to use 1/4” to help keep snakes out of the coop. Any suggestions on where to buy hardware cloth online that has fast shipping? It is a large space (10x20’), so I don’t want to have to redo the hardware cloth later.

You did a perfect link...and great! The reviews were wonderful for the .5 inch!! Anytime someone says it’s difficult to handle and a pain in the neck I know it has to be good! Thank you!!
Helpful hint Ive found building a few chicken tractors with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and with a 100 foot roll you will need 2 people, Oh which reminds me DONT DO 100 FOOT ROLLS.... You are much better off paying an extra $5 or so IIRC for 2 50 foot rolls since they are so much easier to manage. I'm a 6'2" 280 lb guy and trying to lift, manage, roll and cut 100' is just not worth it IMO. You might think otherwise but Ill measure my runs or tractors to make 50 work.

OK back to the helpful hint and this is going to be a terrible thing to visualize but Ill do my best, place the roll on the ground and unwind the end in the opposite direction of the curl and pull off about 12 inches, stand on that section on the ground, grab the roll and stand up, unwinding til you get to waist level then start walking forward on the wire while putting tension on the roll, hold the roll tautly and right at your body ( actually leaning your body back some so you feet are out in front as you are walking forward) while allowing your feet to duck walk on the wire. This mostly reverses the curl effect and allows the wire to lay straight. Tension (pulling up on the wire) while you are walking on it is the key to making it lay flat, then its much easier to work with. Hope that helps.

Helpful hint Ive found building a few chicken tractors with 1/2 inch hardware cloth and with a 100 foot roll you will need 2 people, Oh which reminds me DONT DO 100 FOOT ROLLS.... You are much better off paying an extra $5 or so IIRC for 2 50 foot rolls since they are so much easier to manage. I'm a 6'2" 280 lb guy and trying to lift, manage, roll and cut 100' is just not worth it IMO. You might think otherwise but Ill measure my runs or tractors to make 50 work.

OK back to the helpful hint and this is going to be a terrible thing to visualize but Ill do my best, place the roll on the ground and unwind the end in the opposite direction of the curl and pull off about 12 inches, stand on that section on the ground, grab the roll and stand up, unwinding til you get to waist level then start walking forward on the wire while putting tension on the roll, hold the roll tautly and right at your body ( actually leaning your body back some so you feet are out in front as you are walking forward) while allowing your feet to duck walk on the wire. This mostly reverses the curl effect and allows the wire to lay straight. Tension (pulling up on the wire) while you are walking on it is the key to making it lay flat, then its much easier to work with. Hope that helps.

Totally agree with your technique. I’m 6’ 240 and had a hard time managing the roll by myself.

From what I’ve read the 1/4” doesn’t hold up To weathering and the gauge isn’t strong enough to withstand predation. 1/2” 19 gauge is the general recommendation. I haven’t done any research on keeping snakes out, but this size should keep weasel size and larger common predators out if fastened well.

Back
Top Bottom