Hardware cloth and staples

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ufgrad98, May 15, 2011.

1. ufgrad98

ufgrad98 Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2011
    Can you simply staple the hardware cloth to cover a window opening or do you need to use washers??

2. Huskeriowa

Huskeriowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2010
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Washers. They aren't expensive and are easy to install. You could push your hand through hardware cloth connected with staples and so could a coon. Good luck.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Use washers if you want to screw it down. If you want to staple it don't use regular wire staples, you want galvanized fence staples. You'll have to hammer them in. Put them across where two wires on the hardware cloth cross.

[​IMG]

4. kayla_sayswa

kayla_sayswa Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    What size washer? I was looking for some this morning, but wasn't sure the size to buy and I thought 70 cents for 6 washers seemed expensive.

At what height would you not have to cover the window with hardware cloth? 6 feet?

5. colonel sander

colonel sander Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I am using roofing staples on mine. I am also going to cover the wire and staples with another board so it is more pleasing to the eyes. I just have to keep telling myself it is just a chicken coop:D

As for a height I would want all openings covered no matter what. Rodents could crwl through a high opening if they wanted to. And as for washers find a bolt retailer who sells in bulk. I know I can get them 100 to a box for a great price.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:[​IMG] Fencing staples and hog rings!! Better invention than even the paperclip!!

A swear anytime I try to use screws on 2x2s they split the wood no matter how small the screws.

7. AlabamaChickenLady

AlabamaChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2011
    Oak Grove, Alabama
    We used regular staples the first time around, only to discover that they popped back out quickly.. This is what we upgraded to. They are working great for us. My husband said that they are used to hold felt paper down when putting a new roof on. They were pretty cheap also.

[​IMG]

8. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Somebody here on BYC used pennies.

9. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    Galvanized fencing staples and sink them into the wood a little. Washers will take you forever and cost way more.

Coyote.....you gotta pre-drill 2x2's in many cases.

10. nerd0geekboyz

nerd0geekboyz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2011
    NorCal
    I have a pneumatic gun and used galvanized crown staples.

The only problem is that sometimes the staple cut through the hardware cloth.

Last edited: May 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by